Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-04-2004, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Finally Started

Well, here is my story. I have been in law enforcement since 1990, I'm one of those guy's that gets to ride a Harley 10hrs a day and gets paid for it. I work numerous crashes and fatalities. I always wanted to start my own business and have more freedom than always being ordered around by some person who has no clue what they are doing. I always enjoyed lawn care and seeing the end product. When I'm at work I chat with most of the LCO's I see during my duty day and they are always friendly and take alot of pride in the work they do. My daughter has some medical issues and the insurance bills, even with coverage from work started to add up. So, instead of putting it off and procrastinating, I went for it and started my own business, called XTreme Lawn Care. So far things have been good, and the Lord willing, I will do well. I also want to thank all the people locally in the biz that I talked to that told me to go for it and just do it. Visit my website at www.lawncarextreme.com and let me know what you think!!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would take the prices off the website. I think that you are going to run into trouble with the standardization of pricing or at least the impression of it.

If you think you are only worth $20 an hour your wrong. When you sell mulch and other materials just mark them up 2.5 to 3 times. For example $25 yard = $75 delivered and installed. Now you are making $50 an hour.

As for Lawn Pricing I would not go below $25 per service (in FL) and include weekly edging, trimming, mowing and blowing off. Everything else should be extra and reserve the right to set a price. Its very hard to standardize hedge trimming and things like that. I have a standard price per hour for hedges $45 but I will also add in a pain in the ass fee for very overgrown, high, long haul brush in clean up.

Bottom line keep your pricing options flexible and dont sell yourself short. I did in the beginning. People would ask for an estimate and right then and there I would give it to them Big Mistake. I always got caught up in the moment and under bid. Now I say let me get back to you in a day. Sometimes its easier at frist to give you price over the phone.

Good Luck and Welcome
Old 08-21-2004, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This my first year in Lawn buisness and i've learn quick not to give estimate on the phone ,,,cause they will not tell you the full detail what they have ..i'd tell them what there addressed so i can go and look at there yard and see what you have and i can see how long the grass is....i have about there customer right now that i under bid on ..i'm thinking about going up on the price next year and hope they understand ...we all learn from our mistake but have to please the customer .....Thanks,,,,Patrick ,,,Louisiana
Old 09-20-2004, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

About the website. This is under "About Me":

"I enjoy doing lawn care and find that it is a way to let my stresses in life vent away and I enjoy seeing the end product of my hard work and seeing a customer with a smile on their face."

That sentence sounds really bad. Change it to:

"I enjoy doing lawn care and find that it is a way to let my stresses in life vent. I enjoy seeing the end product of my hard work and seeing a customer with a smile on their face."

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi bp418,

I really like your company name. You have a very nice section on your website in the about us page.