Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2004, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I am about 30 minutes from Va Beach and about a hour from Richmond if that helps any
Old 09-06-2004, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will see if I can't get a hold of my contact with the company to see where exactly they are located and how far they would travel.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are two or three blower mulch companies here in No. VA. I know that at least two of them run EB units. Another company across the line into MD also does this although I'm not sure how they are doing now. They lost a guy IN the blower earlier this season. They had a hard time finding him........

As far as aesthetics, I think that the experience/skill of the operators can make a difference between a nice looking project and one that is barely acceptable.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanelle
There are two or three blower mulch companies here in No. VA. I know that at least two of them run EB units. Another company across the line into MD also does this although I'm not sure how they are doing now. They lost a guy IN the blower earlier this season. They had a hard time finding him........

As far as aesthetics, I think that the experience/skill of the operators can make a difference between a nice looking project and one that is barely acceptable.
I would hate to FIND him in my planting beds. EEEK!
Old 09-09-2004, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanelle
We get all kinds of warnings and letters from EB stating how dangers it is to get into or ontop of the truck while it is running.... I can see how it could mess you up if you ever got cought in the back of the auggers and then even in the feeder!!! I am sure the feeder would stop and cause a system auto shut down if a person were to get a part of his body into the feeder. We occasionaly have large peaces of wood IE; 2x4 and such get loged in the feeder which senses back pressure and causes the feeder to reverse a few times and then shuts the truck down to prevent further damage to the unit. but if the blades were sharp enfough I am sure some could get through. Just makes me sick just to think about it.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundcover Solutions
but if the blades were sharp enfough I am sure some could get through. Just makes me sick just to think about it.
I agree totally. I am strongly looking at changing what material I run accross the board to prevent such an accident. Unfortunately, it only takes one slip and I cannot afford that on my conscious anymore.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelton
I agree totally. I am strongly looking at changing what material I run accross the board to prevent such an accident. Unfortunately, it only takes one slip and I cannot afford that on my conscious anymore.
What exactly are you looking at doing? Just curious.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have found out that in most cases that a recycled, dyed material runs better than the traditional hardwood bark. The recycled material seems to flow better than a bark material - it does not clump and bind together nearly as much. I don't know about you and your materials, but if I put over 45 yards in my truck (I have the same size as you), the bark material will bind in the top portion of the back door and on the sides (above the paddles on the auger shaft - around the auger mower mount) and I have to clear it our periodically. A lot depends on the condition of the material - the bark material changes season to season and load to load, but the recycled material stays the same no matter the weather conditions. What types of materials do you run?
Old 09-11-2004, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We run several different types of material. Our playground stuff is of course our favorite that stuff just flows out of the machine typically not binding up and such. We also have the dyed stuff which is the recycled material, granted it dose not bind up as much in the back of the truck but we tend to get more clogs at the reducer and sometimes in the hose. With the larger pieces turning sideways and blocking the flow. But during the spring we use the good old standard double shredded bark. That bark changes every time we load up, from weather and also when it is dropped at the yard sometimes it is just not good bark. Are material also changes alot depending on what area of the state we are working in. depending on where we are working we go to different yards and they all make there material differently and some use different material. I find that the hardwood binds up the most in the truck, especially if you are starting and stopping alot. We will typically have to "fork the load" every now and then when we are doing that. If it is a large area we can usually just let the truck do the work, and just keep an eye on it.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I see the same thing on our hardwood bark. I also agree on the recycled material - but, I did find a supplier that makes the dyed product a finer grind (plus better coloring) that flows through the truck much better with very little binding in the hose connectors or reducer. That made all the difference in the world. But, I did see that I had to run the blower quite a bit higher if I use that material.

Playground is definitely the material we like to run (for the obvious reasons). It's so much easier to run that material, plus you're not moving around nearly as much, if any. We can run all day and not break a sweat.