Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-12-2004, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah Playground is great.
This was our first year full time in the Detroit area so we were working with a new supplier but now that the season is winding down they are working with us more on our material and they have been doing a great job lately. Now that they know we are going to be pulling large amounts of material from them. They have been grinding up our own pile of playground material. Ever since we pulled a load of playground out and drove an hour away to work on a job, when we get there we get started and right off the bat we get a plug. So I was over by the end of the hose and my guy was clearing out the reducer. So he calls me over and shows me a shovel full nails and other pieces of metal. Needless to say i was not very happy, we drove all the way back and they had to grind up fresh material and take back the full load of material we had on our truck. So ever since then they have been helping us out with good material. Plus we have reached a point that we have pulled quite a lot of material out so they are also helping us out there.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanelle
There are two or three blower mulch companies here in No. VA. I know that at least two of them run EB units. Another company across the line into MD also does this although I'm not sure how they are doing now. They lost a guy IN the blower earlier this season. They had a hard time finding him........
dont know if it is the same company, but there is a company here in maryland, wouldnt surprise me if they had a shop in VA and ran across the line called "TOP MULCH".

around ehre theres a few companies that have these trucks, starting price $40 hardwood shredded.... sounds liek it could get costly
Old 12-30-2004, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where does everyone get their mulch in large quantities? Truckload size.
www.hrbuyersandsellers.com
WE BUY HOUSES
Old 01-07-2005, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Mulcher an alternative to blowing

We are in the beginning stages of developing a mulcher similar to a manure spreader. We have done some testing (applied some mulch to residential properties)and the results are positive with some minor snags.

Please give me some ideas for a piece of equipment that could accelerate the mulching process.
We are looking to build an inexpensive piece of equipment for the up to 40 cubic yard a day contractor.

Negative responses are very welcome, but remember but good suggestions would be preferred
:
-saying it has already been done
-it won't work

and for us grasscutters the machete (still used as major agricultural tool in many countries were the hispanic help comes from) would still be our zero turn mower
Old 01-09-2005, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking at mulcing tipical mulch beds it would be hard to manuver around plants with out covering them up. also you are now putting a pice of heavy equipment on the lawn. Also how do you get the back side of the bed or raised beds. I am not too shure how this application works, but can you easly control depth, speed, quantity. How about delaquit plants is this a problem. Are you able to keep most of the mulch in the bed or are you spelling alot out require significat clean up. What about tight areas can the equipment get into them such as gates and or small side yards. Are you focusing manly on the residental side of the market or commercial? Sounds like a decent Idea a little more info and I am sure i could come up with more questions and or suggestions. Sounds interesting!
Old 01-09-2005, 06:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Some brilliant observations. Thank you! We definitely will take your concerns, excellent suggestions and heads-up into consideration.

Just with an orchard row mulcher things are easier for us, but we spill still too much mulch right at the edge of the beds. and we are looking for an inexpensive method (not the 35K blower way) to render the mulch as close and in the appropriate amount to where it is needed.

Here is what i posted on a small tractor forum site which will give you an idea what we think and ask for. I agree with you this is not the best solution but beats the wheelborrow, fork and shovel method. Some manual mowing around will be necessary.

Please see what the home owners and small landscapers came up with so far:

Tractor by Net

Some of us Power Trac owners are looking to make our life a little bit easier by creating a mulch attachment. But we thought that many of you have wished you would have such an ability too..

What are your thoughts on such an attachment?

Here are some of a Power Trac, a John Deer front mower owner and my own requirements:
Your ideal attachment would be a scoop?
Your ideal attachment would be a trailer?
What kind of obstacles do you encounter on your property which will dictate the dimensions of this attachment?
How long would it be?
How tall would it be?
How wide would it be?
How much mulch would you like to carry?
How would you like to power this attachment?
How would pull, push, carry this attachment?
What type of tractor would you use?
How would you load the material?
Does the attachment have to be self-loading?
How would you want to control the amount of mulch dropped on the bed?
What other uses could this attachment be used for?
What would you be willing to pay for such an attachment?

In my case I have a 425 Power Trac which gives me a great advantage as far as loading, moving and powering of the attachment go. I am not so sure yet of how to get the mulch to a very specific location in a bed.

Many of you will point out that there are blowers out there (costing $35k and better). In my case that is not a solution and the two other users mentioned before just have large properties were such an expense is frivolous.

What are your thoughts? Negative answers are very welcome!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Our first prototype is on it's way!

We have taken the small manure spreader approach and now have to solve the actual precision targeting around the bed problem/solution.

We will keep you guys posted!