Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2001, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok - I'll try to keep this to the facts and leave out all the cussing I did. My oil dipstick tube broke off at the block. (I have no idea why - all I was doing was checking the oil.)

Anyway, I was trying to remove the remaining portion from the hole in the block - it's the friction fit tube. The flange that was there, where the tube broke off, is now in little pieces inside the block - and don't ask - it was just one of those things where you think you just about have it and it just goes the wrong way. The rest of the tube is still firmly in the block with nothing left to grab. So I have two problems and I'm looking for help here - how do I get the rest of that tube out? And how do I get those bits of metal out? Can I take out the drain plug and dump oil through the dipstick opening until I get it all? Or am I looking at dropping the pan, which I obviously don't want to do.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Todd
Old 01-02-2001, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmm. interesting predicament you seem to have put yourself in...

The metal peices (im not sure how big) will probably stay at the bottom of the oil pan, I would think. They might get caught in the oil pump pickup screen, but they shouldnt pass. I cant imagine it really doing any damage but if you NEED to run the truck, maybe stick a big magnet to the oilpan? I mean a big magnet like the kind from a speaker or something.

That would probably hold until you have a chance to take the pan off. as for getting the rest of the tube out, what about a course, sharp threaded screw, just slightly bigger than the ID of the tube? screw it in tight then pull it out with a big pair of pliers/grips? Same idea as an EZ-out for broken bolts and stuff.. OR push it through into the crankcase. There's stuff down there already anyways

as for getting the metal out of the case, maybe move the magnet all around over the oil pan then when you're sure youve covered all the area, move it slowly to the oil drain plug, get one of those antenna magnet things that looks like a pen, bend it so it will fit up into the oilpan from the drain hole, and then remove the big magnet once the little magnet is grabbing some of the metal..?

Just some ideas I could think of.. I hate the situation you're in.. I know what its like, and im sure many of the regulars here do too

be creative, I guess.. im sure there will be some other good ideas.. good luck

mike reeh
Old 01-02-2001, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

NO EXPERT

Im no expert but in a bath system you would be in trouble.
If i understand correctly pieces are at bottom of pan.
If so i dont think the oil pick up would ever move them.
If im correct they are just going to ride there and cause no problem.Think about it ,and mabe someone can
give you better input.Just mineTM
Old 01-02-2001, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

All thoses picece if there not to big, should pass right down in the oild pan, Drain your oil, the leave the drain pan plug out, I would run 3- 4 quarts right down the oil dipstick whole, just use a really small funnel those shavings will go down into the pann where there should be a small magnet, if it was not removed already, it will collect there, then drop the pan its not hard at all, all your metal should be in the pan. Buy a gasket at Napa and some sealer and you should just fine, as to how to get that other metal piece out I dont rally know I vize grips seems not work for everything so Just get it with that. And if you cant I really dont know what to do..
Old 01-03-2001, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Well at least it's a Chevy and the oil pan drops out fairly easy, not like those rigs with that funny looking blue sticker on the front. Fel pro makes a cool 1 piece pan gasget for a small block, and you could put in a stud kit while the pan is off. As for the dip stick you are going to use a punch to drive it out, either from up top or underneith.
Old 01-03-2001, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you dont drop the pan and do it right,your rolling the dice,the dipstick tube was probably rotted out,you just didnt notice it,so its likely rusted in the block too,thats why it wont come out,the metal it to weak to hold up to your pulling.I would drop the pan-I know you didnt want to do that,but its the only way to be sure you've got it all,and drive out the old dipstick tube from the bottom,install the new tube,you can use a 12 pt box end wrench to install the new one,I think its a 1/2",then you can hammer on the wrench and itll drop in.Then clean the newtube out with parts cleaner and clean out the oil pan,put it back up with a new gasket.
Old 01-07-2001, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help on this one guys! I'll probably be working on this thing tomorrow - it's been parked in the driveway since I broke the tube off the other day and I've been too busy to mess with it, but I have tomorrow off.

I haven't decided which route to go here. I'm thinking I'll drain the oil and run a bit more through and just look to see how much metal comes out. If it doesn't look like I got it all, I'll probably go ahead and rip that pan off. I'm so excited.

Anyway, thanks again!

Todd
Old 01-07-2001, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

maybe its just me (fortunately Ive never had to do this) but I dont think that thick, slow moving oil is going to flush any metal bigger than a small small flake, out of the oil pan. I mean its not like there is going to be a tidal wave of oil moving through the pan.. Well anyways let us know how it turns out, but my advice is to just pull the pan.. Hell it sounds kinda fun, if you ask me. sick, eh?

mike
Old 01-08-2001, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Thought of another idea guys!!

What if I stick a really big magnet on the handle end of my dipstick and fish around in the hole?? They way I figure it, the magnet will magnetize the whole dipstick and I should be able to get something out of there. I guess it's been a while since I've messed around with a magnet (let's see....I'm 31....so it's been what?? about 20 years??)

Anyway, I'll try that today and let you know what I come out with - hopefully it's little pieces of dipstick tube.

And Mike - you're sick!! REALLY sick! Haha - just kidding. Ripping that oil pan off might be fun, but I live in a little tiny house with no garage and a gravel driveway and we've had at least 30 inches of snow up here. Rolling around under that truck (a creeper doesn't work on gravel, by the way - I tried once!!) is going to be muddy mess! But you're right - there won't be a big tidal wave. One guy told me to use tranny fluid since it's thinner. Another guy told me to use diesel fuel. I'm thinking that if I can use either of those, I might just hook up the garden hose and the nozzle and just power the crap out!

Thanks again guys!

Todd
Old 01-08-2001, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Todd, i dont have any brilliant ideas on getting the metal out (i would pull the pan, fun as we all know that is)
but just a suggestion for avoiding the mud.
put down a big tarp in front of the truck and push (if possible) or drive (if your brave enough) the truck onto it so that the four tires hold down the corners of the tarp. that way you stay fairly dry and can roll around under there without pulling the tarp around with you.
enjoy

greg