Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2001, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been at some trade shows over the past few years and have seen the Ride-on spreaders that use a small boom sprayer in fropnt and spread a granular fertilizer. I'm not talking about the Turf trackers but the actual ride-on (sulky-like) spreaders that have a small 5-6 hp engine underneath. Has anyone had any experience with them and how well they work? Interested in knowing the problems operators ahve experienced with them. Are you actually able to get more work done or is it just a matter of less fatigue on the applicators? Would appreciate any input that someone may have. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2001, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have extensive experience with them.
(Perma-Green Ride-On)

Problems operators have with them? Not easy enough to control in small areas and hills. Belt-drive system is sub-par.

Able to get more work done? Absolutely. Espcially on large jobs. The productivity is greatly improved, espcially as the season wears on and fatigue becomes a big factor.

The machines are improved every year and always seem to offer more each year, so some of the problems we've encountered may be improved with the '01 model.

Old 01-04-2001, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the note, as for maintenance are tey easy for upkeep? engine problems? As for the larger lawns, what kind of coverage did you get with the sray booms? If you can email any helpful info it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-2001, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maintenance: They're fairly high maintenance. Spreader/Sprayers have to be calibrated constantly (espcially since calibrating 2 materials) Other maintenance items include brakes (cause they're too small) drive belt (because it's underengineered to fit in a tight area and acts as the clutch.) Early generators failed, but that's been corrected.

The 6hp Robin is a fine engine, but the oil fill/check isn't asessable.

Spray nozzles go out 8ft+ or so. They're supposed to go 9, but ours don't quite spray that wide.
Old 01-07-2001, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Information on manufactures?

I would greatly appreciate the name and number of the manufacutrer of the ride on sulky type fert and liquid sprayer. I currently use an exmark lazer z outfitted w/a 30 gallon tank and 6-7 foot boom. Unit works alright but I,m looking for a more efficent and compact unit. Thanks a lot. jim
Old 01-07-2001, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The unit we're discussing is built by a Company in NW Indiana called Perma-Green. 1-800-346-2001.

Old 01-11-2001, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kent lawn is right, i got a perm-a-green unit last spring and the unit has to get used to... liquid spraying is not a problem,the problem is fertilizer pattern...its a pain in the ---- to get the pattern just right,other then that is a nice unit,i am the only one that uses it and it works fine,with out it i cannot do the lawns that i do...you tend to live with the little problems that the mechine has..also they are great people to deal with..
anthony
n.j.
Old 01-11-2001, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, no doubt.
Even if the machine has it's ?, the folks there are pretty pro, quite knowledgeable and extremely nice to deal with. If you do need parts, they're shipped overnight and at your shop the next day.

Old 01-16-2001, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

perma green sprayer

hey guys how many square feet will one fill up of 8 gallons really cover. I received their video and was not sure if
a specific weed killer must be used or can i use my normal
broadleaf herbicide. thanks jim
Old 01-16-2001, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

8 oz. per m or 64,000 sf
its works ,hard to understand it but it does.
anthony