Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2004, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark, Gravely, or Scag 36" WB

These are the three I am trying to decide between. I like the gravely the best, but I would get better dealer support with the Scag or Exmark. This is my first big mower. I have $3000 to spend on it, It will be a fixed deck gear drive.
Prices:
Scag- $2500
Gravely- $2600
Exmark- $2700
I will be able to pull a sulky/velky with no problems on these mowers correct? I appreciate the help.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've never owned one but I think that for a gear drive I like the gravely pro-g a lot. but if you don't have good dealer support (like I would have if I bought a gravely) you would eventually spend more time waiting to get parts than mowing.
that said, I like the exmark better than the scag because th lawn looks "cleaner" when your done with it and has the ECS controls.

but remember DEMO DEMO DEMO! you have to find out what is best for you on your grass type's and you lawns.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TClawn, I talked to the Gravely dealer and he said that they do not stock all of the parts, but some. They said that unless it was a serious problem they could have it fixed in 2-3 days. This would be fine for me. The problems comes up when you say demo. The dealer has a small shop and they do not keep any mowers there to demo. I do not know if they would order one for me to demo or not. Should I even ask for them to do that? Thanks for the help. Any opinions welcome.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Ex Mark Metro fixed deck with the ECS. I love the ECS...just watch the low trees. I know this will pull me no problem and I'm 200#'s. It runs great and starts easily (pull start).
Two thing I don't like:
The fixed deck. It scalps hills and deep bumps easily. And I can't get it to lay "good" stripes. It does leave a stripe, but not a strong one. I have adjusted deck height a couple times and tried double mowing. No luck so far.

I paid $1250.00 for mine. It was 1 year old and had about 6 hours on it. There is no hour meter, but I bought it from someone I know very well. Maybe wait till season end when a bunch of LCO's are going out of business. Thats swhen I got a steal on mine.
Hope it helps! Good Luck.....
Old 08-11-2004, 10:24 PM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
only one i can tell you any thing about is the scag.They are Built like a tank ,built to last.

Cut quality is excellent and they stripe great stock out the box.easy to maintain
Old 08-11-2004, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used the Scag belt drive WB's extensivelly.. They are deffinatly a real tough machine, almost bulletproof, BUT the freaking pistol grip controls on them killed my hands by the eng of a 11hr day.. otherwise, a great mower..

BTW, you commented about the Gravely dealer not stocking many parts and not having a demo... If I were you, Personally, I wouldn't buy diddly from em' ... When my Dane surfer munched a belt the dealer 6 miles down the road from my house didn't even have a belt in stock...Usually, In my experience, if they won't let you/ or don't have amachine to demo, they ain't worth dealin with, IMHO...
Old 08-12-2004, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark, but not at that price...

Love my exmark metro!!! Just bought a new one about 3 months ago, paid $2150 brand new from the dealer.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Re: Exmark, Gravely, or Scag 36" WB

Quote:
Originally posted by Husky03
These are the three I am trying to decide between. I like the gravely the best, but I would get better dealer support with the Scag or Exmark. This is my first big mower. I have $3000 to spend on it, It will be a fixed deck gear drive.
Prices:
Scag- $2500
Gravely- $2600
Exmark- $2700
I will be able to pull a sulky/velky with no problems on these mowers correct? I appreciate the help.
For all the price you listed, I would shop for a used Hydro unit, like a 48" or 52", looking for one that is under 500 hrs, lots of life in it. The belt WB is a good to start, but if I were you I would buy a used Hydro WB cause it is the one and only way to go. You won't see the difference but once you are on sulky, the hydro is by far and most apart most productive, the belt is no match. The fatigue factor from belt WB is enough to run only hydro machine.
I have both a 36" belt and 52" Hydro eXmark, so I think I know something out of my experience, but it is your call no one can force you to buy a belt walk as main mower.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used a 36" scag hydro for a week, and the controls killed my hands, I stopped early one day because my hands couldnt take any more. Its the dead man switchs that hurt my hands. My exmark is way more comfortable.
And I would spend extra and get a hydro.
12x6.5 Open trailer
Exmark TTHP 48" (for sale)
48" Wrigth RH Stander 19hp
Walker 25hp 42" GHS
Honda HRC216
25" Trimmer Mower w/Honda 5.5
Shindaiwa EB-500
Shindaiwa EB-630
RedMax BCZ2400S trimmer
2 Shindaiwa T-230
Shindaiwa T-230/w hedge trimmers

Have you hugged your mower today?
Old 08-12-2004, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I purchased the Gravely Pro-G 36, and aside from price, the selling point for me was the easy deck height adjustment.