Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2004, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you were building your own custom trailer....

...Like I am! how would you design it and what features would it have?

Mine's gonna be 7.5' wide x 20' long. Tandem axles with brakes, 8 ply tires, 7' wide by 5' long rear gate with a spring on it. 60" wide 4' long side gate. debris box on front and storage box on front to store tools and stuff in. Gas can storage, trimmer racks, custom holder to hold the vac bagger on the Ferris when not in use, solid oak floor and 16" oak stake sides (removable sections). Should have a cooler rack too and hand tool racks. Oh but it's gonna be sweet! It'll have room to hold everything on it, all self contained nothing should need to overflow into the truck!

Here's what i'm starting out with. Paid $115 for this frame, axles, brakes, wheels, tires (including spare), coupler and jack. Should not have more than $850 in it when done, possibly less.

So give me some more ideas and comments and suggestions!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2004, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

a separate appt. with a/c, a kitchenette, living room (room to sleep 8) 2 baths (one full and one half) and a sun deck.

dont tell me you cant do it eric, remember your frankenscag?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i think i would close off a section on the nose. perhaps 7'x3'x4'. then you could lock up blowers and other easy to steal tools so you don't have to unload everything at night.

You'll love the side gate, its just so damn convenient!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

on a more serious note eric, when do you plan to be finished with this new model?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

eric

perhaps a winch?
im gonna put a electric winch on my trailer, prolly mount it up front on the tongue
Old 08-18-2004, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

BS, yeah i was planning on it. Don't remember but i think i mentioned a cabinet/chest storage area. This would be lockable and yes room for tools, supplies, and room to lock up handheld equipment. It should have room for blowers, trimmers, edgers, etc (though that may be packin it tight) so i can put them in there at night to keep them out of the weather too.

Pro- I actually think I'll keep one of those camping toilets in the debris box or in the tool/storage place for when ya gotta go. I was going to do most of the work this weekend but the wood will not be cut till next week so it maybe a couple weeks or so. I got all the lights and wiring stuff i need tonight. Ordered fenders this morning. Am getting a price quote on the steel. I drove around town with it some tonight after mowin to see how painful it is, it fits everywhere i need to go and i can navigate tight turns with it pretty well if i can swing out alittle and cut tight it follows the truck pretty well actually... Now i'm even thinking just leave it 22' long but i'm not sure if that'd be too big. There's one spot on the frame where water must have dripped on it alot becuase it's rusted a small hole in the box frame and rusted pretty bad around it. i was gonna cut that section out when i cut it down, but if i leave it 22' then i will just brace that section i guess.

Now i still have that huge problem of getting in and out of my driveway. I live on a busy highway and my driveway is no peice of cake with the 12' trailer, much less a 20 or 22'. With the 12' one, i pull in and then back up and around into the circle loop then have to pull foward and back up again to get backed up near the garage (driveway is straight from road to garage with a circle off on one side). But the big trailer i will have to back into or out of the driveway. I can pull off by my mailbox and wait for a break in traffic then pull foward and back in, but thats still not the safest way to do it. I could pull in then back out but i can't see when traffic is clear... hmm.. well...

Greasy-Gun, well, I thought of that but i don't really have need for such a thing. If i later on need one i'll add it.

Ya since driving a 22' isn't a big problem, i might just leave it that long for ease of building (not chopping and moving frame) and more space.... hmm.... i'll be thinkin of this.

Thanks guys and keep the ideas coming!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

If I was you I would put a nice floor with a pole in the middle.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pushmower
If I was you I would put a nice floor with a pole in the middle.
Using solid oak hardwood planks for the floor- can't get much better. what do you mean about a pole in the middle? i am curious on that.

I think i've just settled to stay at 22' like it is now LOL ... it's not that hard to maneuver and navigate and 2' won't make much difference on maneuvering it so i think i'll just leave it. 2' can make a world of difference on deck size. plus it leaves more room for debris box and storage chest/cabinet.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

eric, yah, you did mention the box in your original post. i guess i forgetted how 2 read when i first read this post

edit, and in regards to backing in the trailer on the busy road.... you've got a F350 + large trailer. use it the way its supposed to be used... for traffic detail! most of the people will stop for you when you cut across the road with your hazards on to back into your drive, if not. screw 'em
Old 08-19-2004, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

im going to put a generator in my enclosed a lot were sold due to the hurricane and a lot of people usually return them. Then I will offer blade sharpening to diy,ers