Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-22-2004, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Metro?

So I was out yesterday and while I was out my mom and dad decided they were going to go talk to someone about lawnmowers. So they went to the nearest dealer (Giant Oak) and talked to some kid there.

He told my parents that I should get the metro because the TT is alot more expensive and it has alot more problems that are alot more expensive.

So now my dad wants a Metro. I've looked at the stats and it says 6.2 mph with reverse assist. All the others just say 2.2 mph reverse. So I don't understand. Does it have reverse? What is reverse assist?

Also, looking at the metro, I didn't notice a handle that was for putting it in gear. So how exactly do you put this thing in gear. I coudln't see all angles of the mower, so is the gear changer below the handles?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

i don't know about putting a metro in gear but the assist reverse is just what it says...
when you put it in reverse the mower will help you back up but not do all the work. you will have to pull it back your self.
i was thinking about getting a metro also but i opted for the viking hydro. yes it is more expensive and will cost more when it breaks but being able to sit on a sulky all day and never have to worry about any thing is well worth the extra $1500 - $2000 price tag. also if your going to spend the money on a hydro, get the tthp.
i wish i got the floating deck
Old 08-22-2004, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a METRO HP. If you get a METRO, get the HP!!! (Has floating deck & height is easily changed by pulling 4 cotter pins.) THe TT is almost as expensive as a Lazer HP, but it DOES HAVE REVERSE. The REVERSE ASSIST on the METRO is a JOKE. I don't even bother putting it in reverse anymore. Just leave it in forward gear and pull the brakes until it goes into neutral, then PULL it backward. I'm 6'5" and 285, so it is not too bad to muscle around, but smaller people may have a problem. Also, you learn real quick to not get stuck in a bad position, like having to pull it backwards UP HILL, it is much harder!

Overall, It is a GREAT MOWER. Stripes as well or better than my Lazer HP. I would still get it, especially if you don't want to spend the $2,000 EXTRA to get a hydro TT.

Mike
6x10 Lone Wolf dump trlr w/lndscp gate
82" Lastec 3682
60" Exmark Lazer
48" & 44" Exmark LazerHPs
44" Toro Z-147
36" Exmark MetroHP WB
34" Encore Z-34
Gator-Rator
JRCO Elec Brdcst Sprdr
Brandlein FIREBALL Grinder
2005 & 2007 Cyclone Rakes
2005 BOSS 8' plow
2011 SnowEx spreader
2006 Billy Goat 18hp Leaf Loader
Licensed Pesticide Applicator
Purdue U. Trained
Old 08-22-2004, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a metro also. It's a very good mower for the money. It's deffinately not the most luxurious of all the commercial mowers, but its a great place to start making money. With 15-20 accounts you can have that thing paid off in a couple of months, then it's all profit from there.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I got the metro this year as a backup. Looking back I wish I had just got another TT.
Between the fixed deck ripping everything up, the so called reverse assist, belt slipping off and this new steering system they've got, this thing has a permanent place in the back of my shop. I'd rather use my 1982 Toro.

My advice, If there is any way to upgrade do whatever you can. Maybe a used TT would be good to start with.

BTW you shift with your knee by sliding a lever .
Old 08-22-2004, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

im wanting a metro too,i have a laxer 60 but have 4 yards that have a lot of trimming with 21,and im wanting to cut down on the push mowing time.how much is a metro and which one do i need for my use,might use it 1 hr to 2 hrs a week.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnboy89, I have both a 36" metro and a 52" TTHP. I started out with the Metro back in '02 and my advice is spend the money as worthy as you can when you start. Here is 2 options.

#1. Get the 52" TTHP/ECS now and learn your experience from it cause in future it will help you tremendously due to its productivity and the dual hydro system.

#2. Get a used 52" TTHP/ECS now if you can find one with decent price and condition. Explanation is the same as #1.
There is no other choices.

Nothing else matters if you have that 52" to start. It takes so much time and effort to crawl to that size and drive system that will seriously make money for you. Forget Metro cause you will sell it later as soon as you get hydro floater later, and the 52" will come in your brain again. So why don't you get the right one to start?

hope this help, just my 2 cents...
Old 08-22-2004, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, I the first time I saw it say reverse assist I knew it was a joke, what could it possibly be if it doesn't push it back.

I can't get anything bigger then a 48'' as of right now, because of tha fact that I don't have a trailor yet and I will just have to use the back of the truck. I'm definetly considering a used TTHP now and I'm hoping my dad will consider it.

One more question. Is the only difference between a floating deck and a fixed deck the way you highten it? Because I don't see how it is any better.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the trans drive belt with the improper tension will also cause the reverse assist to not work too well. adjust that and it will pull better. i am a small person, 5' 7 and 135 and i really have no problems backing mine up, with or without the assist. the reason the other says 2.2mph is it's a hydro machine, with true reverse.

60" Exmark Lazer Z 26 EFI with Ultra Vac
(2) 52" Exmark Lazer Z HP 23 Kawi with/Ultra Vac
36" Metro with 12.5 Kawi
Redmax bcz3000 trimmer
(2) Redmax 7001 blowers
(2) Stihl FC85 stick edgers
Old 08-22-2004, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the floating deck has rollers that allow it to articulate over obstacles (uneven spots, roots, etc) where the fixed deck is rigid and won't budge. anything over a 36" fixed deck tends to scalp more.

60" Exmark Lazer Z 26 EFI with Ultra Vac
(2) 52" Exmark Lazer Z HP 23 Kawi with/Ultra Vac
36" Metro with 12.5 Kawi
Redmax bcz3000 trimmer
(2) Redmax 7001 blowers
(2) Stihl FC85 stick edgers