Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2004, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck won't start - help please!

OK, here's my problem. I walk out to my truck yesterday ('00 Chev 2500), and when I went to crank it I noticed that one of my kids had been in there and turned the key to start and left it that way. When I turned the key back and tried to start it, nothing happened - and I mean nothing. So I pop the hood and tap on the battery with a pair of plyers, then it cranked and promptly died. Then nothing... Same thing again - tap on battery, crank, then engie dies. I get a buddy to come jump me off - takes a while but it worked. I had to keep the gas pedle held down for a while for it to stay cranked, but it worked. I drove around for about 30 minutes and then parked it...

This morning I go out to crank it - it starts up and then engine dies again. Now I am back to nothing.... It doesn't act like a dead battery, but more like a bad connection somewhere. Obviously, I am not very mechanically inclined. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post...

Tony Blair on why he believes in America
Old 08-22-2004, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like the battery has been drained to the point where it will not hold a charge anymore. It's 4 years old. Replace it

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill
Old 08-22-2004, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The battery is only a year old and the truck cranks now with no problem - but, it will not keep running without me giving it gas. Sound like an alternator? What kind of damage could have been done by the key being left in the start position? I heard a long time ago to never leave the key forward, that if you need to have power then you should turn it back to aux.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How clean are the battery posts and cable ends? I see a man once replace the battery and starter just to find out it was bad cable ends. Clean your post and terminals and see if it is any better. Places like Advance Auto will test your alternator for free. The old story about leaving the key in the "run" position with the engine not running was because the points would cook if you did. Unless the "00 is for 1900 I do not thank that is your problem.
P.S. Remove keys from truck.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i know that vehicles theese days need more voltage than alternators can put out at times, esp with a discharged battery. the altenator probably cant keep up with a low battery. I suggest trying to charge the battery or replace it

Old 08-22-2004, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I normally remove the keys from the truck, but I guess "normally" won't cut it anymore - especially with kids old enough to think your stuff is cool....

Old 08-22-2004, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my 2 cents... have it towed to the nearest FORD dealer and trade it off for a F350...... u will be much happier....... i know i am LOL seriously though like the others have said it sould like u got a drained out battery just replace it... u can always take the old one to NAPA or AutoZone and have them check it out and test the charge of it b4 u shell $125 for a new one.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by i_plant_art
my 2 cents... have it towed to the nearest FORD dealer and trade it off for a F350......
Ha Ha! Thanks, but no thanks - been there, done that... I am on my 7th Chevy and there will be no more Fords for me.

I bought this one new - 70,000 miles on it now - and no major problems. It has pulled everthing I put behind it and it has gotten me out of some serious jams (4x4). What more could a guy ask for - best employee by far!

Old 08-23-2004, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

We have trucks at my full time job that does the same thing, but I think and from what I am being told that the reason you have to hold you foot on the gas is because of the electric fuel pump, as well as all the other electronics not having enough juice. I do not think its the alternator, just a battery that has been drianed to the point of no return, I assume this is a deisel and you know what it takes to turn them over. I would try a new battery then if that was to not fix the problem I would go to troubleshooting.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

trickle charge the battery overnight. if it dies over the next night then the battery is shot.