search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Thread Tools   Display Modes
Old 08-22-2004, 06:41 PM
25nbl's Avatar
25nbl 25nbl is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 39
Bonded and/or Insured??

Where can I buy insurance for where if I break a window on a car or building or a person? Is bonded and insurance the same thing for breaking something or hurting somebody? What is a good price?

Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:03 PM
PROCUT1's Avatar
PROCUT1 PROCUT1 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: TN
Posts: 4,910
Looking at your posts, i think you will find the "search" feature very helpful here. Otherwise be prepared to get pounced on
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:08 PM
ikesleeping ikesleeping is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sturgeon Mo.
Posts: 46
With out pouncing I think your looking for General Liability Insurance .I was just quoted $295.00 per person in company for 1million coverage with 2 million cap per year br agent with American Family Ins.
Chevy One ton4x4
2004 Toro Z150
1999 Encore W/B 48"
102"wide 20' trailer
RedMax EBZ4800
RedMax EB 6200
Shindaiwa T-270 trimmer
looking for everything else!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:57 PM
i_plant_art's Avatar
i_plant_art i_plant_art is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Oakland, TN
Posts: 558
you need General Liability Insurance.. Talk to your auto insurance agent and they should be able to refer you to someone in the commercial insurance market. Prices vary from state to state and depending on how much coverage you want..... i pay 490/ year but i got loaded up on insurance and coverage for any rented equpment that i may have in my possession....... take a few quotes from different companies as well each of them will try and sell u different types of ins.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Team Gopher's Avatar
Team Gopher Team Gopher is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: -
Posts: 4,043
Hi 25nbl,

Here is a great quote by Jim Lewis from this post.

"First thing you'll want to determine is if you are required to have a bond and commercial liability insurance by the state for the type of work you do.

In my state, if you are ONLY doing lawn care, you need not be bonded or insured. But if you do anything else (e.g. irrigation, new sod, retaining walls, etc.) then you DO have to get a bond and insurance, in addition to getting a license to work in these fields.

So you'll want to brush up on your own state requirements.

If you are not legally required to have a bond or insurance for the scope of work that you do, than the amount of the insurance and bond is more arbitrary - that is, you can determine for yourself how much you might need.

If you are just doing lawn care, mulching, and clean-ups, you may not need a bond. A bond (or Performance Bond, as is it sometimes called) is a guarantee against poor workmanship. For instance, if a customer paid you $10,000 to install a large retaining wall. And it worked for a few months, then began falling down because you didn't build it properly - then the customer would make a claim against your bond. Your bond company would pay the cost for another Landscaper to fix the problem - or to totally re-do it. That's really the only purpose for bonds.

Another example; suppose someone contracted with you to install an irrigation system. They gave you $3,000 as a down-payment but half-way through, it was very obvious to the customers and also you, that you were in WAY over your head. You had agreed to do something you really didn't have much expertise in and were really mucking it up. There were trenches all over the place. Pipe strung out everywhere and not glued together properly. You used the wrong kind of backflow device and didn't install it in the right place even. Etc. etc. etc. Well, maybe you'd been trying to wing it for 2 weeks and it was just painfully obvious you were just making a huge mess. So you decide to give up and just admit you can't finish the job. Well, in all of your efforts, you managed to spend the entire $3,000 they'd given you. You can't refund them their money because you've already spent (wasted) it. Well, a bond would protect the customer in this case because they'd be able to get that $3,000 back from you and give it to someone else who knew how to fix your mess and do it the right way.

But again, if you are just doing maintenance-related services, there's little need for a bond. You can't really go against someone's bond and say, "this lawn was mowed improperly - I want you to pay for another company to come out and mow it correctly." That just wouldn't happen. There's no major problem with a lawn being mowed improperly. It's just aesthetics. Same with barkmulch, clean-ups, etc. No real reason why you'd have to call in another company to fix a maintenance problem. There's usually no impending danger from mulch being applied improperly, grass being cut sloppy, or a clean-up being done poorly.

So you'll need to determine whether a bond even applies to what you do first.

If you find you do want a bond, then your next step is to figure out how much of a bond you want. Our state requires a $3000 bond for general landscaping and a $10,000 if you are doing structural-related things like fences and decks too. But generally speaking the amount of the bond should be able to cover the amount of your biggest anticipated job. So if you totally screw everything up and the customer has to hire someone else to fix your screw up, the bond will cover that complete cost.

As for insurance, it all depends again on what you do and what kinds of losses might happen. Anything is possible. Theoretically, a chunk of rock could come flying out from under your mower and strike a kid in the eye and blind him for life. But in all likelihood, the worse thing that's ever going to happen while mowing is a broken window. On the other hand, your spark arrester may not be working and you could start a fire. So how much insurance do you need???? Well, that's very arbitrary again. I've heard it said a lot that you should always carry as much insurance as you can afford - the more the better. I agree with that. If you can afford a $1,000,000 policy easily, you should probably do it. But if all you can afford is a $100,000 policy, then get that for starters. That will cover a lot.

You asked for prices. I just renewed all of my insurances and bond for the year. So the prices are in my head. A $3,000 bond cost me about $400 for one year. $300,000 worth of commercial liability insurance cost me $2,100 for one year. "
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Eric 1's Avatar
Eric 1 Eric 1 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toccoa Ga.
Posts: 1,223
Wow Gopher, thats a great post.
"Now thats cool"----- Blue County
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:57 AM
jajwrigh jajwrigh is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 1,404
Originally posted by ikesleeping
With out pouncing I think your looking for General Liability Insurance .I was just quoted $295.00 per person in company for 1million coverage with 2 million cap per year br agent with American Family Ins.
Those rates are very close to the ones in my area as well. I am currently insured through American Family and have no complaints so far...
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 09:28 AM
SWD SWD is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Central Texas - West of Austin in the Hill Country
Posts: 990
Those rates aren't anything like what I pay - I average around $1900.00 per year.
I have one claim over three years ago, however, this claim doesn't factor into my cost. I pay this amount due to there only being one insurance provider of commercial insurance who also offers coverage for chemical applications.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Mowmoney00's Avatar
Mowmoney00 Mowmoney00 is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN.
Posts: 134
Our general liability insurance for $1 mill / $2 mill cost around $800.00 per year. Granted this does not include any insurance for chemical applications or tree removal (very expensive). We are covered by Erie Insurance group, you should look into them they're a really good company.
Johnathon Vaughn
Elite Lawn & Landscape Inc.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:54 PM
firedog2710's Avatar
firedog2710 firedog2710 is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 38
i pay about $300/yr. and that includes liability and theft/damage to my equipment (theft only covers worth, not replacement cost. this company didn't even offer replacement insurance. theys aid it wasn't worth it).
'03 Sierra 1500 ext. cab 4X4
5x10 single axle trailer with trimmertrap racks
Toro 48" WB--belt drive, fixed deck, 15hp kawasaki, 2-wheel velke
Redmax HB2300 blower
Redmax BC225DL trimmer

"fire na tine" (men of fire)
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.10297 seconds with 8 queries