Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2004, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Winter work

I did a search but the results werent very clear...

Im in the northeast and our general workable time is from about March 15th to around Nov 15th.

I dont do snow removal anymore due to the enourmous increase in insurance premium.

Im looking for Ideas to keep my guys busy for 3-4 month regardless of snow and also to make some money for myself.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Re: Winter work

Quote:
Originally posted by PROCUT1
I did a search but the results werent very clear...

Im in the northeast and our general workable time is from about March 15th to around Nov 15th.

I dont do snow removal anymore due to the enourmous increase in insurance premium.

Im looking for Ideas to keep my guys busy for 3-4 month regardless of snow and also to make some money for myself.
a way around the snow issue high premium is the method for which you take care of the snow. Ask for the price for using just snow plows. And then ask about just using snow blowers. You will see a huge difference.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Not to mention I hate snowplowing. Talk about the nastiest people you'll meet.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

us north east guys go through this all the time..

what i've done on top of the snow work is, put off as long as i can some of the odd and ends work that customers want done. I've done gravel jobs in the winter, grading jobs if the ground isn't completely frozen. cut trees down.
the customers request work alot around thanksgiving until the the middle of december... i usaully stall as long as i can, and have work in january, february. not full time, but enough. can't you extaed your season until the middle of december? my last cut is around December 15th, weather permitting. do you know anything about minor home improvements? or christmas decoration install, (and take down-- work in january ). i haven't done that too much, no need, but its an option.

you could always eat it, and give the guys some hours around your own property in between the slow work...
Old 08-22-2004, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My snowplowing insurance is $50 per $5K of revenue. Since we only do like 40K each year , to me that is peanuts...check with your agent IMO.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was thinking about some treework myself but I see all the tree companys trucks sitting all winter...... I havent mowed a lawn myself in a couple of years but i think I should start making some home visits and taking notes on things around the clients properties that need to be done and see if i can sell them for the winter.

Brush removal

Grading

Pruning

Tree work
Old 08-23-2004, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you think snow insurance is tough, try tree insurance.

Plus, if you haven't mowed a lawn yourself in a couple of years, that's something that you could do off and on in the summer, stack that money away for living income in the winter, then just let the guys get unemployment.

Either that or sell firewood.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PROCUT1
Not to mention I hate snowplowing. Talk about the nastiest people you'll meet.
what in the heck was that all about?....i plow snow and im about as clean-cut as they make em

Eric Estes
Five Star Lawn Care LLC
Old 08-23-2004, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting a Christmas tree delivery service in the winter this year for extra cash. I give the sheet to fill out to the lawn customer, says what kind of tree, the shape, the height etc, I go pick if up at a farm I know where I can call the order in each Friday and they will be ready and bailed with the customer name on them on Saturday morning, and I bring them to the customer and put them in a stand...$20 a tree cost, $60 delivered.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PROCUT1
[B]I was thinking about some treework myself but I see all the tree companys trucks sitting all winter...... I havent mowed a lawn myself in a couple of years but i think I should start making some home visits and taking notes on things around the clients properties that need to be done and see if i can sell them for the winter.

Thats would I do also like planting flowers , landscaping round air conditioners and cleaning out some gutters