Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Organic Fertilizer

I'm looking to get into the organic fertilizer business. Just looking to see what products and manufacturers everyone uses.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a website on a natural organic fertillizer supplier: http://www.naturesafe.com/
Old 08-05-2004, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

FYI, Naturesafe is priced for the high-end golf market. It is WAY to expensive for what it is, but they built a name and that is part of what makes the world go-round! Quality product though!
Old 08-18-2004, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For better pricing on organic-based fertilizers, try www.nutrientsplus.com

Better suited for the lawn care market, IMO.....
Old 08-22-2004, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Are there any Canadian companies out there for organic fertilizers?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

hello! this is jerry and i happen to have tons of organic alfalfa pellets(literally) i'm interested in finding someone to distribute my product on a friendly long term basis. all certifications for organic rating available, processed in organic certified equipment. i'm a problem solver who would be willing to work with you. any size packaging available. i'm at jns@inebraska.com if you would like to talk email or (402)786-3973 for me in person. thanks and good luck with your store.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jerryorganicalfalfa
hello! this is jerry and i happen to have tons of organic alfalfa pellets(literally) i'm interested in finding someone to distribute my product on a friendly long term basis. all certifications for organic rating available, processed in organic certified equipment. i'm a problem solver who would be willing to work with you. any size packaging available. i'm at jns@inebraska.com if you would like to talk email or (402)786-3973 for me in person. thanks and good luck with your store.
Hi Jerry,

Is your product weed free and do you have small pellets that would easily go through a Earthway or other commercial grade fertilizer spreader. I am not sure I care about the organic certification, but I do not know what is commonly sprayed on Alfalfa?

When you say distribute your product am I assuming this would involve warehousing? Please feel free to P.M me.

Tom
Old 08-26-2004, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dishboy
I solved that spreader problem by using Alfalfa meal. You have to shake the spreader to wards the end but at least it fits through the holes. I have two yards that I have been using a mixture of equal parts : Soy meal-Alfalfa meal-Corn meal-Gypsum- on all summer applied about every four weeks. (the time intervals change because nether customer waters there yard so I try to make my applications just before it rains when I can) It has taken some experimenting with the rates but 25 pounds per 1000sq. ft. seems to be working well. I leave the gypsum out of the equation when figuring my pounds of organics per application, then just add the gypsum in later. The gypsum helps the spreader feed the mixture. All I know about this is what I have read here so it's all just a learning experience for me so far. I will say this all I have done is raise the height of the cut and added this mix and these two yards are as green as there neighbors that use synthetics and water. The neighbors do cut there grass too short so I have an advantage from the get-go on that though.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

leadarrows..

that sounds like a great mix!

i find soybean meal is great for greening up the grass, and if watered in it starts to 'work' within a week or two.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

leadarrows,
I have been using straight Alfafa my last round, these are irrigated yards, mulched at 2.75 inch. I modified a spreader to pass the pellet. I get some color in one week, growth in two and good growth three weeks . Nice dark color, thick blades. I like the results much better than milorganite. Rate is 15 pounds a 1000. I would hate to go any heavier as my growth is about to force me to take off the mulch kit.