Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2004, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Advice on Landscape Fabric Use

Have a huge section of ivy to rip out about 2000 sq ft of it, after doing this, I thought the best thing would be to put landscape fabric down to prevent the ivy to grow back, because there is no way I got every little sprig.

Any suggestions? I explained to them about the weeds forming on top of the fabric and they are allright with taht,they just dont want the ivy to come back.......
Old 08-27-2004, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would spray what sprigs are left with Roundup. You might have to spray it at least twice. In fact I would have probably sprayed all of it a couple times and saved the grief of having to rip it out.
Not an ez task as you well know after doing it...After its dead, line trim the dead leafy stuff and then cover with mulch or whatever
Old 08-27-2004, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

are you planting anything in the dirt under the fabric this year or are they waithing till netx spring or nothing at all??
Old 08-27-2004, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No

The garden is very old, almost twenty years, they just want everything low maint.

I figured since they want me to, put landscape fabric down (double it over), staple it down, 3-4 in of mulch, and apply Preen on top. And of course before I did it I Round Up everything.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never seen the fabric do any good. The weeds grow on top of the fabric and root down under it. Roundup just kills the top and it comes back. I have had 2 jobs that I had to remove all the fabric from the areas, what a job. On another job, the weeds are growing like crazy and pre emergent can not get to soil to help to keep the weeds to not grow. The landscape fabric is a waste of time, unless it is going to be under rocks. As for as the vines, pull them out with a stiff rake, roundup what is left, then use the weed wacker to get the dead out.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

GRasssin---everything Premo just told you is right on the money....and yes , fabric is a complete waste of time and money unless its going under stone
Old 08-28-2004, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Even if I were to put down fabric (which I WILL NOT do) under bark mulch, there is no need to "double" it.

Fabric under rock needs to be overlapped 4-6" or so, there is no need to double it. At least as long as you get the good stuff, that is. Good stuff being a woven plastic fabric with a fuzzy side.

And Round-up will not kill just the top. True Round-up (glyphosate) will kill the root system too. The glyphosate is translocated to the root, which is how the plant is killed. If you've got round-up that claims to kill in 24 hours, you don't have the good stuff.

For this job, I probably would have sprayed it 2-3 times with a heavy mixture of glyphosate over the course of 2-3 weeks, then come back and pulled as much out as possible with the landscape rake on the back of the tractor (if it was accessable). Put down pre-emergent, them mulched. And planned on coming back afterwards for some follow-up spraying of whatever ivy comes back.

Dan
Old 08-28-2004, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

if there are no plants hit it with a soil nuetrilizer(spelling) i get mine from lesco, it will kill everything in the soil for approx. 8 months, and you will never have an ivy problem again
Old 08-30-2004, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hit it with Garlon

No Fabric ,No Way

Apply Surflan after all the ivy has been removed
then apply 3"shredded hardwood mulch

Good Luck
Old 08-30-2004, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have explained all this to her and her reply that her old neighbor swore by this stuff, therefore it had to go down. So I have done all I could to delay the incoming weed invasion, but still put the fabric down. Because you know, "The customer is always right"