Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

quote my job please

finished a trimming job last week. handed her the bill she fainted. said i'm "way over" what she thought it would be. here it is: 50 emerald green arbs 15 foot high. these needed to be topped down to 10 foot, then sqared off to create a neat hedge appearence. then trim 25 other pieces of shrubbery assorted species( holly, euonomous "gold and silver king", junipers, and yews, none of which required a ladder, none more than 4 ft high x 4 ft wide). re edge 150 foot of beds where stone had been, which makes getting a shovel in the ground near impossible. remove two huge clump birch stumps, planted right up against house, with electrical wiring all around it. all disposal in back woods. install 1.5 ton of stone(3/4"red), 1 yd of mulch, one weeping birch 5-6 ft range b&b. i know it's difficult without seeing, but based on this info, give me a ball park, best u can, thanx
Old 08-27-2004, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

$1000.00- Those 50 emerald greens are a pain in the arse.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like you said, hard to say without seeing the job, but I'd probably be around $1200-$1300 give or take depending on the overall sizes of the '25 other pieces of shrubbery'.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

$4500 or more

Mac
Old 08-27-2004, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$4500 or more? hahhaha, good one man...Like the others said $1200-1500 seems pretty good
Old 08-27-2004, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

bobbygedd..............how much did you bill her?

http://www.cookseyslawncare.com
Old 08-27-2004, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say $3600 without seeing exactly what you did.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Location: Newport News VA, Born and raised in Mcdowell County North Carolina
I would have went no more than 8-1200.00 without seeing it.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

One thing that so many companies don't seem to understand is that you MUST give an estimate prior to work being done. This is especially true when dealing with residentials. Many times an exact estimate cannot be given. In those cases, if nothing else, a range should be given.

So many residential customers do not have a CLUE as to how much work it really takes to do landscape jobs. They think in their mind, "how long could it really take to cut a shrub?". When in reality it takes quite a while to do a proper job.

I know that when I first started in this business I underestimated jobs all the time and would end up either losing money or breaking even. This was because I didn't realize how much work it really takes to do some of these jobs.

You can sure bet that "Mr. or Ms. Office Worker" or "Mr. or Ms. Hire Everything Done" doesn't have a clue about landscape work.

That is why I do my best to educate them. I give them an estimate and explain A-Z what it really takes to undertake their request.

The astonished look on their face when I am done talking is enough to reassure me of their ignorance to my work. It also helps them accept my price when I write it out on the estimate sheet.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ability
One thing that so many companies don't seem to understand is that you MUST give an estimate prior to work being done. This is especially true when dealing with residentials. Many times an exact estimate cannot be given. In those cases, if nothing else, a range should be given.

So many residential customers do not have a CLUE as to how much work it really takes to do landscape jobs. They think in their mind, "how long could it really take to cut a shrub?". When in reality it takes quite a while to do a proper job.

I know that when I first started in this business I underestimated jobs all the time and would end up either losing money or breaking even. This was because I didn't realize how much work it really takes to do some of these jobs.

You can sure bet that "Mr. or Ms. Office Worker" or "Mr. or Ms. Hire Everything Done" doesn't have a clue about landscape work.

That is why I do my best to educate them. I give them an estimate and explain A-Z what it really takes to undertake their request.

The astonished look on their face when I am done talking is enough to reassure me of their ignorance to my work. It also helps them accept my price when I write it out on the estimate sheet.
now that is a very good post..... im on another tread kinda in a way asking the same question and i like your answer..... but what i want to know is when you give the quote on a could be this or that price where do you start? do you start where you think it will be at and go up say 20% or what?
Closed Thread