Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2004, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Member

raiseing blades.

i was just wondering what the effects of raising the blades inside the deck would be.
from what i understand the blades should be set low in the deck to allow the grass to be mulched and to allow proper flow to a grass catcher.
i did a search for this and didn't get much information . i just wanted to find out what all the pro's and con's are of doing this.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Member

come on some one has to know ???
Old 08-28-2004, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Typically you'll get a better quality of cut with the blades low. On the flip side, if you need to mow something high, you might not be able to get to the height you need without taking the blades off and raising them and the front casters (at least that's the problem I run into with my Exmark)
Old 08-28-2004, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing scientific on this issue but the factory positioning of your blades will be the ideal position for your deck. Raising the blade position by removing spacers or modifing the spindles will only degrade your quality of cut. Notice that your blade tips are equal to or are slightly lower than the leading edge of your deck, that allows the grass to spring up or be raised into cutting position by the vacuum effect of your spinning blades if you raise the blade you will be moving the blade out of the optium cutting position. Lots of lco's here run doubles, that is the opposite of your question the using of double blades LOWERS the cutting blades position which usually results in BLOWOUT (some cut blades of grass being pushed out the front of the deck not out the discharge chute).
Hope that helps.

BobR

Old 08-28-2004, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks Hoolie
thats what i thought and raising the blades to 3 spacers above 1 below is my dealers answer to the scalping problem i am having with my viking. even the manual says a minimum of 2 below 2 on top.
I'm having troubles accepting this on a brand new 5 K mower. also was i right about what i said with mulching and bagging ? the manual doesn't say much about this other then a poor cut with a set up like this.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

DOC-77

Ignore my post !!!

I thought you were modifying the blade height from inside your deck... You are only asking for the optium setting for you fixed deck Viking by the addition or removal of spacers and I am not qualified to answer your question as all my decks are adjustable (suspension decks).

Take Care
BobR