Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2004, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

old lesco spreader/like new

Man o man ive had this lesco spreader since 91 and have replaced the gears and know the hopper,,,, yesterday a good friend welded 4 inchs on each side to extend the handles ,,like the new ones ,,,omg i,m in heaven .!! I,m ole skewl and wont buy a new one till this one is dead ,,but it wont die!!
I would tell any one to do this
i was told that the new handles wont bolt up to the old frame
life is good again
Old 08-31-2004, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got one I bought in 89, that baby has seen zillions of sq ft, fell of a few trucks, even a 5 story building ( dont ask ) Currently my dad uses it to apply Ice melt during the winter. My newer one was bought in 95, she's still got plenty of life in her. However since the PG's have come along in 2000, they spend more time in the shop resting than working
Old 08-31-2004, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I inherited an old Barefoot in the Grass one (yellow), just put a new set of gears and is brand new again!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dug my personal spreader out of the dumpster of my old Chemlawn branch in 1986. It had to be a couple years old then. Low wheels, painted (not epoxy) frame, & the covetted "Golf Ball Logo" on the hopper. Every single part has been changed (except the hopper) at least once over the years. So today the frame is all Stainless with all modern wheels & sealed gears.

Was it worth it? Not for anyone else it wouldn't have been. Only because of my employee discount was it possible.

Twenty year old spreader. Jeez. For sure it has more sentimental value than monetary value at this point. LOL
Old 08-31-2004, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember going from those small wheels to the " high wheel stainless" wow was that awesome.

My 89 is like a old friend, I started my business with it, that and a old hand can, dont have that anymore

While we are reminiscing here, remember the old salco cam aerators, the big metal boxes that weighted 800 lbs ( or it seemed ) with tiny little wheels on it. The center of gravity on that unit seemed like maybe 8 feet high. But boy did it pull good plugs.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I miss the old design. Going from the small wheels to the big ones was like night and day. I had forgotten all about that...
Old 08-31-2004, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I personally liked the small wheels.

When I was at Barefoot Grass "back in the day", I would seek out the small wheel spreaders and hog them. I liked them because they throw further.

I even modified the high wheel spreader I bought when I when on my own, to the old low wheel. Want to see some pic's?
Old 09-01-2004, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I still have a Salsco cam aerator. Got a whole box of new parts too. Springs, tines, the works. If someone wants it enough to drive to White Plains NY to pick ip up, it's $100 as is plus coffee. Black no sugar.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tremor, is that the one I described? big square box?

Take a photo and post it.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like the one. Four pneumatic tires on the rear axle? Figures, I was there yesterday too. I'll be back there next week & I'll click a picture.