Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2004, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

dealer support?

what does this mean, exactly? the reason everyone says they pay alittle more at a certain place, is due to the great dealer support. just curious what you consider dealer support that justifies the extra spending.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Like when I have a problem with one of my mowers, I call the dealer and tell them I'm bringing one in and they have a loaner waiting for me when I get there. Having a parts and service department that is open until 11 pm every night. Almost always having the part I need in stock when I need it, not relying on the wholesaler for a parts department and always having to order it in. 4 years ago I had a problem with a new machine, they worked on it while I put almost 200 hours on one of their new machines. They'd call and say they thought they had it fixed, I'd use it for a day and take it back (drive motor had internal tolerance problems that only showed up when oil got good and hot in a cemetery). Finally they brought the wholesaler, his mechinic, their mechanic, and the wholesalers mechanic to a cemetery and then when they saw the problem in action, they fixed it. Most dealers around here would have said, sorry it's your baby, we can't find anything wrong. For me though, its:
Service dept and loaners,
parts availability when I need them.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And the opposite of what steve said is them never having parts, having to pray they have a RENTAL, a loaner...yeah right, hoping the idiots order the right part your waiting for, staying open till 5 but leaving at 20 till becuase "it wasnt busy" evan after you called saying you were coming for a specific part that they claimed to actually have in stock, and their drunken mechanics may actually have the knowledge to fix something. If I could find what steve talks about I would pay more also.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

our dealer will take a part off from a show room model if we need it. He always has most parts in stock. That means a lot to us !!!

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 08-29-2004, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what i'm thinking is, say 10 years ago, our resources were very limited. We each personally had no way what is available via internet.
I never had real dealer help anyway, i would just go to buy something i needed and that was the end of it, no special treatment for spending a fortune in there. The last few problems i've run across with my equipment, have been solved here. I've even bought equipment from this site...... where i might have spent alot more there.
i just don't think its as important as it was years ago. maybe i've had bad experiences.....
Old 08-29-2004, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve, who is your dealer. As you can see, I'm in the same general location as you. I always use Scott's Power Equipment and they treat their customers like gold.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll have what steve122 is having, but only a quarter hit, please

steve122 says:
" they have a loaner waiting for me..." OK. But I remember what oldtimer said re this, and other dealers saying'yeah, that's right, oldtimer'.

" Having a parts and service department that is open until 11 pm every night." OK. yeah, aren't they all?

"...I put almost 200 hours on one of their new machines..." OK , oldtimer and all the dealers are waiting and hoping for the opportunity to do just that. Yeah.

steve122, I don't doubt for a minute you value this dealer...who wouldn't?

How long has this dealer been operating this way? just curious.

P.S. sorry to name you, oldtimer, just that you seem to be vocal and (and judging by the 'me too's from other dealers here) have
your finger on the pulse of dealer feelings/attitudes. JMO
Old 08-29-2004, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Steve is right on - find a dealer that puts your mower on the priority list if broke down -

As a consumer the only way to find one of those dealers is to reverse your roles.

What I mean by that is - I would bet you go to a property and say "This property will cost you $45 per mowing, and there is no negotiation."

Why would you go to a lawn mower dealership and expect to be negotiate them to nothing, when you are not willing to negotiate
in your end of the business.

Hit the search button, and you will find tons of thread that go something like this - "My goodness, My dealer that I bought all my stuff from for cost went broke, and now I have to drive 4000 miles to the next closest one - What am I going to do?

This site is full of people that want to buy equipment cheap and charge Expensive. They are important, but their suppliers are just cogs in the system that know nothing, see nothing, are nothing. UNTIL THEY GO BROKE FROM BEING JIPPED BY THEIR LCO BUDDIES>
Old 08-29-2004, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My Toro/ Stihl dealer will provide a loaner if he doesnt have the parts in stock and He is open 1 hour earlier in the am for the commercial cutters to get parts and service before he opens for regular hours

Old 08-29-2004, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Adam,

I think dealer support is very important. Not that I should have to spend extra to get that support. I think a dealer should believe in and back what they sell... working/hoping to get repeat biz from you. I can see your point as far as there being more resources available when you have an issue with a small ticket item... but when you are spending 10, 20, 30,000 dollars and up... you are going to need dealer support.

I recently switched from Exmark to Dixie. This Dixie dealer has gone above and beyond my expectations. From the very start with a 2 day demo to my most recent experience.. my 32hp Generac blowing a hole out the side. I have had a few minor issues also that have been handled in a timely and very professional manner... from loaners that aren't supposed to be loaned out to stopping what they were doing to address my problem immediately. They even offered to stay later and open earlier then their normal biz hours to take care of me.

I'm also a strong believer in spending money in your local economy.........

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com