Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2004, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Help w/New Install Bid

I had a request for an estimate at the local gas station. The old one burnt to the ground and they just finished building the new one, so all there grounds are a mess. I typically deal only with maintenance and not landscaping, but I really need the work. I feel confident that with a little help from the folks at Lawnsite that I can do the job successfully.

They asked for just turf to be installed, but I think they really need some sort of landscaping in the front. I will more than like give them a bid for both and see what they say.

The first area that needs turf is in the back of the building. All the areas still have a good deal of trash such as busted up concrete that I will need to get out of there to make a good bed. The back area for turf is 2940sq ft. The next pic is where you see the back from the parking lot. I think there needs to be some sort of shrubs to sort of block on the parking lot. This area would be 30' long and more than like make it about 4 feet wide.

There are 3 small areas out front, and they only want 2 of them done. The middle one gets driven on when there is a traffic jam in the lot, so I think they need some sort of rocks there rather than leaving it dirt. That area is 375 sq ft.

The front corner where there sign is 992 sq ft. This is one of the areas I feel really needs some sort of bed rather than just turf.

The other corner is the smallest area being only 168sq ft.

I need as much help as possible from anyone that has experience with new installs. I have a tractor with a front end loader, box blade, 5' pto tiller, as well as a walk beihind tiller. What would be the process in installing the sod alone, BTW in our area the grass of choice is St. Augustine. I'm also open to any suggestions on what I could do with the smaller areas rather than just sodding them. I've never done a job like this before, but everyone had to start somewhere. Thanks for any help.

-Brandon
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2004, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Back Bed

Teh back bed w/shrubs would go here.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2004, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Middle

Here's the middle area that I think needs rocks.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2004, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Corner

This is the larger corner.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2004, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Small Corner

This is the smaller areas only 168 sq ft.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2004, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

damn... can't help ya on your bid but those prices are cheap!! I'm moving to Texas..

Gas- $1.69 in TX, $2.02 in NY
Cigs- $2.99 in TX, $4.89 in NY
www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn
Old 08-30-2004, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quality,

Gas prices have gone down over the last month from about $1.89 to $1.69...there was a time where I just knew they would hit the $2 mark.

-Brandon
Old 08-30-2004, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Brandon on jobs like that do exactly what you were thinking onthe bids give them two. but on the sod ex: sod per sq $4.00 charge sod price doubled to install, to start you need a three in base of lose fertile soil to work it into, once sod is layed you'll need a small roller to set in place. do all this while its dry install on wet mushy soil will cost you alot of time and headaches in repiars do to movement of the wet soil. not top dog but experienced in sod installs and landscape jobs . anymoer questions just shout.
www.greentouchlawn.com
Old 08-30-2004, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

So what you're saying is charge twice what the sod cost me to install? If so how much do I charge for the soil I add? Also how imprtant is it for me to clean up all the debris that may be slightly below ground level? Can I just add the new soil and lay the sod? Sorry for sounding stupid, but this is all new to me. I just built a roller that is 4.5' wide and can be pulled behind my atv, I think it will work great for sod.

-Brandon
Old 08-30-2004, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

If it not an incredible amount of debris then put at least a three in min of fertile soil and till in well until lose and evenly distributed. on the roller just make sure your four wheeler doesn't press ruts into the new sod ground will be very soft at this point.
www.greentouchlawn.com