Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2004, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

just curious

I have a question for everybody. I am a full service LCO except for grass cutting I was wondering how many companies were out there that did the same thing i did. I just got tired of the grass BS so i sub every cutting contract i get and keep a small percentage of each one. I dont have a life outside my business so I work 7 days a week 12 hours a day.So how many LCOs out there did a crazy thing like that also.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Or does everybody Think I am crazy for doing that?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know i can make money mowing grass....whatever floats your boat Captain.

Trevor
Old 08-31-2004, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I used to make money cutting grass but there is more headaches cutting. i.e. rthe grass is to wet to cut or the famous one when the grass is wet and tall. "Why is the grass so clumped up the grass is not supposed to clump up like that". I know everybody has heard that one before.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I make good money mowing. Almost always i am at or above the famous $1 a minute rule of thumb that is touted on Lawnsite as being industry standard. Thats for when i work by myself and thats after drive time. I know alot of local guys that are not doing that great, know quite a few that are at about half that even! I attribute my success to having the most effecient equipment for the job and the fact that i'm young and can work pretty fast (i can't beleive how much time some LCO's i watch spend trimming, they like go real slow like they're scared or something, i'm at a good walk speed). Just stuff like that. Plus, i know what i'm worth and i don't care if I don't get every job so i don't lowball anything. I just sell highest quality service and work quality and customer satisfaction and it works for me. From my recent readings on here, I don't know how some of these guys make money doing leaf cleanups. Last fall i priced most of it by the job, or gave them a per hour quote then an estimated time to complete the job and this worked well. I was able to make decent money that way, but probably no more than mowing because you have more equipment involved and more labor too. If you just give them a per hour price you scare them all off, they don't realize how fast you are. So you have to drive to each job and give a per job quote then you usually get it becuase it's worth that to them and that way you make more money because you price it as if it will take longer than you know it would actually take. Make sense? Well i'm straying from your question. But i'd prefer to do just mowing and cleanups honestly. i don't do much in the way of landscaping except mulching. i wish there was someone like you around that i could sub the landscape work out to scratch each other's backs sort of deal
Old 08-31-2004, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 62 lawns to cut every week. The reason why i sub them all out was because all my money making projects were just getting too far behind. And also A buddy of mine wanting some lawns to cut for his LCO so i told him that jhe could have all of mine and i would keep a percentage of each monthly service bill.