Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2004, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage
Ron95gt,
Did a little research on Peanut Culture on Va. Soils and learned that Peanuts use a lot of Calcium from the soil as they devolop. Now I have seen the whitish brown tips on new seeded lawns where the builders sold off the topsoil and then seeded on graded subsoil without doing a soil test and adding the elements in short supply.....Here in north-central new jersey calcium is often one of the elements needed, sometimes 100 lbs per acre.
When Calcium is low, Aluminum is more available to the plants and TOXIC to grass plants. As everyone else here has suggested Go to your local cooperative extension with a cup full of soil taken from 2-3 inches below and have it tested as this will help you find the problem. Also Peanuts have Nematode (microscopic worms) problems and certain herbicides used to prevent weeds during peanut production may be causing problems as well.
Your cooperative extension agent will know history of the farm where you planted the St.Aug. Plugs, and will help you find the answers you need.
Ric's idea about the milorganite is great and by the way milorganite has Calcium and Iron in an available form in it, so while you are figuring out what the problem is with the soil , why not pull up a few of those troubled plugs and follow his recommendations and see what happens,
Enjoy the new learning experance,

Pete D.
Pete

He doesn't need to pull up any plugs. Just hit it with 20 lbs of Milorganite per thousands. With the rain from Charley he should get a good response fairly quick. Since this is a grow in, he should try Cal Nite as a synthetic in about 45 to 60 days. Apply it lightly and often and he will have a great strong stand of St Augustine IMHO.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric,
You certainly know about St. Aug. turf and I hope he follows your advice.
Hope all is well with you.
Pete D.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage
Ric,
You certainly know about St. Aug. turf and I hope he follows your advice.
Hope all is well with you.
Pete D.

Pete

St Augustine is all I know. I lay it, plug it, Irrigate it, Pesticide and Fertilize it, and Mow it. I don't know anything about any other turf.

I just came home from what was my nursery. My equipment is all parked in what was a field and now a shallow lake. No Damage to the equipment as far as I can tell. My skid loader is parked next to the cement block garage and is high and dry. In the morning we will chain up and try and pull the trucks out to finish the clean up contract we are working on. With Hurricane Ivan heading my way I am ready to buy a snow plow and head north. I am not sure if there will be any landscape to take care of when this is all over. Yes I am in the landscape install business. However once again will people be able to afford to replace it, with all the other expenses. It will be a long time recovering here even if Ivan doesn't get us. It has been like living in a night mare, only it is real.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 09-06-2004, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks much for the info guys. I'll get on it.
Tanaka 255PF
Old 09-06-2004, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Best of luck Ric! Got my fingers crossed for ya. I welcome your expertise in that you are a long time St. A "plugger".
Tanaka 255PF
Old 09-06-2004, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ron

Florida is down, but not out yet. If Ivan doesn't hit us too bad we will recover. We are crying in our beer right now, but will get back into gear in the near future.