Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-02-2004, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Government grants

Anybody that knows anything about getting government grants for small businesses please let me know anything. Can't beat free money.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

ive been investigating government grants for the past few weeks and i still cant get a grasp on how to get them. There are several services that charge anywhere from 20-120 dollars to let you use what is basically a search engine. They let you search through thousands of grants that are available to anyone (granted your 18+ and a US citizen). Ive been looking through the grants but it seems like after finally finding a grant that sounds like it fits my situation, i cant find out how to apply for it.

the application process also looks like a *****, there are all kinds of forms and documents that must be read over, signed, and sent it. You also have to submit some type of business proposal to convice the feds to approve your business for the grant.

It all looks like a pain in the neck...but your right, theres nothing like free money. Search google for 'government grants' and start from there and check out http://www.freegovernmentdollars.com/members/

goog luck....and if you find anything promising, let me know
Old 09-03-2004, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Grants are a good thing, but be wary of paying for grant information.

That said, I believe everyone should have a business plan. You are selling your business short if you dont. If anyone needs any ideas as to what goes into a business plan, besides hours of research and hard work, let me know.

If you have a business plan, a few customers, and half-way decent credit, you could find an insitution that does micro-loans for business. FYI a microloan is between up to $10,000
Old 09-06-2004, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Member

theres a guy Matthew Lesko that sells several books on these grants

He has a commercial where the book chases gov't agents - kinda cute

http://www.mlesko.com/lesko/store.htm
look for the book "Government Giveaways For Entrepreneurs IV"

Last edited by Anthony-MB; 09-06-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

a government grant to open a fabric shop

I was interested in getting a government grant to open a fabric shop up myself. I recently heard that Wal-mart is taking out their fabric department. We have none in our town the closest one is two hours away and the quilters here in town are in an uproar because of it. I was just wondering if someone could give me a link to a grant site that you don't have to purchase anything from. Thank you for your answers.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Those books and websites are a SCAM!! The government is not going to pay you to pay you to start a business. If there is so much "free" money out there to be had, why are these people selling you the information when they could be collecting the "free" money themselves. But if you really want to throw your money away, go ahead. The only ones who make money off these get rich quick schemes are the ones who sucker you into buying them. As a matter of fact, send me $5 and I'll tell you how to make easy money.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

jdmcat is correct! There's no free money! Wife and I started our business by working with the SBDC (Small Business Development Center) and would highly recommend them. Their service is the only thing you'll ever get that's free, escept for the advise from this site!! ha ha
Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

There are government grants................................................If you are starting a business that is a break through in new technology or medicine.

The other stuff is a scam. You pay them money. They will tell you how to apply. Then you will hear nothing.

Sorry there is no free money for our industry (or even most industries).

SBA's will be a great help though. Local universities often have mentor programs. There is lots of help out there, but yes you have to earn your own money.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why does everyone want free money? If its not grants, its welfare or food stamps. Just work for what you get. If you want a lot of money work hard, and if not then be content with being poor. I hate how everyone wants handouts from the government like there arent millions of people that want the same thing. If it was so easy to get grant money, taxes would be outrageous because everyone would be applying. As you can probably tell, I just paid my taxes and am very bitter.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson LCO View Post
Why does everyone want free money? If its not grants, its welfare or food stamps. Just work for what you get. If you want a lot of money work hard, and if not then be content with being poor. I hate how everyone wants handouts from the government like there arent millions of people that want the same thing. If it was so easy to get grant money, taxes would be outrageous because everyone would be applying. As you can probably tell, I just paid my taxes and am very bitter.

THANK YOU!!! I wish the gov't would stay the &*&*%( out of my life. If you get a grant, you have less invested and more likely to not try as hard. What ever happened to the days when people would stick their neck out and take a chance? I just get irate when I see people looking for a handout "just because it's there".