Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2004, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

what should i do?

i just hired this guy last week.... works non stop. won't take breaks unless you tell him to stop, and then its only for about 1 minute... the problem is that he can't do anything except push a trim mower... that wouldn't be that back except i don't have very many lawns that need a trim mower... i tried to teach him weed eating and he literally sucks at it... i show him my way and hes right back at it, his way... what should i do? i love his work ethic. do you think it is possible to train him or is he a lost cause? thanks for all responses....
Old 09-03-2004, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

c'mon.... surely someone has faced this situation before.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wiz.. Just me, but trimming is the first thing an employee would get training on from me.. If they can't hack that, I don't need them..Just my nickel...
Old 09-03-2004, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

thats what i was thinking.... if you seen him trim, you'd think he wasn't all there.... he doesn't swing side to side like everyone else would... he kinda pushes in like a mower..... used to keep it full throttle, now its idling when hes trimming....
Old 09-03-2004, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion is give your guy some time if you like his work ethic. Mowing season is almost over and then it is leaf pic up...anyone can operate a blower and a rake!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, he is good with the blower....*lol*
Old 09-03-2004, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well it sounds like he needs to understand that your way is the way it needs to be done. He might need some remedial training at a park or somewhere that won't make your regular properties look like crap.

You may need to get a trimmer and have him try to mimic everything you do. Maybe you need to try it his way to see how you can best convert his method to yours. You are trying to break the bad habits that his last employer gave him.

It's like teaching someone how to use a hammer. You know that you get better power and striking force if you hold it at the end. But someone new holds it close to the head, because they feel more comfortable being able to hit the nail head. As their hand-eye coordination becomes more refined they are able to move back on the handle. It just takes a little time.

Or maybe you can get some additional yards that requires the trim mower.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

jerryrwm, i'm thinking of letting him loose on my yard.. i have over 1.5 acres with sh*t ton of trimming... maybe he'll learn then, or i'll throw his arse in the creek...*l*
Old 09-03-2004, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you could give a little more info about the guy and explain the my way his way thing. But one thing you could do is let him get good at "his" way. It seems he may just need practice. Oh, does he suck at it his way or your way? I trust it's not both, right?
I've had guy that would hold a trimmer so funny (to me that is), go forward and backwards, and do a jig around corners. But he sure sucked when he started
WSDA# 65537
Old 09-03-2004, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe just let him trim backyards only til he gets the hand of it...if ever. You can trim the fronts to maintain that curb appeal. I just was talking to another LCO today. Last year he was solo, now he has helper. This helper was just raping and pillaging these lawns with the trimmer. The owner's pretty bummed out, third guy he's had this season, and still no reliable trimmer.

I'd just try to keep him away from the front yards and anywhere else that would be visible to potential clients. If he can't figure it out after a few weeks, he probably never will.