Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2004, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked back on your question and It read which is the "easist" to use. To me all three of those are tough. I have all three and am not very good on any. I have gotten the furtherest on Illustrator. I am not sure what you have in mind for buttons. There are a lot of sites where you can get free, premade buttons. That is the easiest. Based on your question I am assuming you don't have any of those and they are all expensive programs to use one time to create a few buttons. You can make any graphic into a button easy enough and avoid the programs all together.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fireworks and Illustrator are not comparable in any way. Yes, Fireworks can generate vectors, but it's core is bitmap based. Macromedia makes Fireworks for web graphics, but their similar software to Illustrator is Freehand. And Fireworks can generate roll-overs.

Of all of them, Fireworks is hands down the "easiest" (being relative) of them. Flash can be more of a hinderance to your site (read: annoyance to visitors) as the odds are if you are asking these questions, you won't rapidly develop the skills to make a flash interface that would be worth the effort. that's not a slam on you or your tech skills, it's more of a issue of creating a menu that is meaningful vs. bells and whistles.
The Flash learning curve is especially steep if you don't have the graphics experience.

tony
Old 01-04-2005, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Web site from scratch???

Looking for some help for the members who have built their own web sites. I just want a simple informational web site, maybe 4 pages total with nothing fancy (no jumping letters or movies), and a way for my customers to be able to e-mail me from the web site (possibly a fill in the blank type e-mail for address, phone # etc.). I built a web site a while back with the help of a friend and retained nothing from it. I am on a shoe string budget so is it possible or should I wait till its in the budget then start working on it? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

check out the gopher link on the ad banners. not only is he amazingly helpful in these forums, he's got web templates to get you started.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Pilot,
I have no experience in web pages at all but would love to put a small, basic one together for advertising purposes. Can you give me some information on how and where to start and also how much it costs?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Jay
Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi Tony,

Thank you for thinking of us!

Hi j.p.landscaping,

Here is a link to some free web templates you can download and use to create your own website.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a question......My website is www.lyonspressurewash.com My pictures are fuzzy, but when you click on them and make them full size, they're ok. Any help?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotcoplawnboy
Just wanted to put my help out to others. I build websites as a hobby and also do some for small business. If anyone has questions about wed design and other related topics, let me know.

Webb Builder

Ok...I just have a general question for ya ABOUT websites. There is a website that I used to go to and can no longer....well, I can get the front page to open but when I go through the pages....Internet Explorer, Mozillz Firefox and Netscape browsers all say they have encountered a problem and need to close.

Can you tell me what is going on? Only happens on this one website.....
Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

guys, if you start a new thread for each of your questions, you might be better off. while the pilotguy started this thread, i've not seen him actually helping much in the way of answering web-related questions and this thread has grown a bit old.

merlin, if you want, pm me with the site and i'll see what's up. could be any of a million reasons, but first guess is that it's trying to run an executable file or applet that's taking down your system.

lpwhandyman, your picture issue is one you can't get away from if you print text on the picture and then shrink it. shrink the pic, and then add the text to it. what are you using to shrink them, that could also be the problem.
i'd also suggest shrinking down your large pics some. those things are unnecessarily large, and still in a high res format. if so, shrink them down to something more manageable. there's an old rule of thumb to take it to 72pdi (for purposes of this argument, go with that, but it's sort of a false rule) as that's what a monitor will max out on. basically, just try to make the pic more of a manageable size and one that does not only show 10% of the pic and having to scroll around to see the rest. you want to provide web site quality and not print quality.

tony
Old 02-13-2005, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

search engines.

how do i get my site listed on top 10 search engines ?