Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2004, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

liquid aeration

Has anyone heard of a product that is applied with a hose atatcment that claims to aerate soil.It comes as liquid and is diluted with water.Some golf courses actualy use it. I was woundering if anyone has heard of it? By Natur,s lawn copy/past https://ssl.cgicafe.com/clients/nat...com/aerify.html
Old 09-06-2004, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Liquid vs Machine

It appears that my favorite aeration method is under discussion here. It always raises a temptest in a teapot....but, here goes. We are talking about our old friend, surfactants/wetting agents. Does this approach work? From my years of experience, yes....if done correctly. First, let me explain that there are a number of various surfactants on the market hidden under brand names that do not spell out what they are. The straight forward, organic one that I have used for years can be purchased on-line from www.nitron.com. It is listed in the catalog as Nitron/A-35. This product is poured full strength into a hose end sprayer set to deliver one tablespoon per gallon. Easy to do. A gallon will last a long time for the average lawn/garden.
Let's discuss the various types of soil compaction:

1. There is normal soil compaction such as that left by heavy construction equipment. In this case, topsoil is usually added and grass seed or sod put in place. If a surfactant is used one time to water in the seed or sod and repeated several months later this usually will restore a normal, compacted friable soil. It will also aid seed germination and sod root development.

2. Next, the average lawn which needs areation once a year or every other year. If the soil is presently friable, draining well, then an annual surfactant application in mid to late summer and again in early spring is sufficient.

3. Now we come to our real problem lawn...ucky, thick clay soil. Here, fall top dressing coupled with a monthly surfactant application for a year, then every other month the next year, then four times a year thereafter is the method that has given me the best results.

4. Southern growers of Centipede, St. Augustine, etc. run into the problems of grass patches dying out and refusing to fill in again. Once it is determined that the problem is not Brown Patch then I suggest that a monthly surfactant application to those spots until grass is growing well again.

5. Surfactants aid plants in absorbing and utilizing both chemical and organic plant foods. Usually it is possible to reduce the amount of these products a bit when using surfactants in conjuction with them.

So, to answer the original question posted....using my experiences over the years, liquid surfactants do work. I would suggest that you purchase one marked organic so that you may also use it on vegetable gardens with various hard pan/clay soils, if you wish.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 09-14-2004, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't get it.

You ask a question and then answer yourself?
Old 09-15-2004, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its called a salesman -- an no ones biting!

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 09-15-2004, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Not my passage!

It is not me selling, i just wanted to know if anyone had tried it. After wrighting the first time, i ran into this other article and did a copy / past so that all readers would know what i was talking about. Now, i did not write it. As far as selling anything, i'm not. I am just thinking of trying it. Liquid Aeration is something that works as far as some people say. Don't take it from these passages, look it up and you will see that many people use it, including some golf courses. Sorry if i was misunderstood!!

Last edited by jbequer; 09-15-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I beleive there was some misunderstnding. Hoever, it is undersndable. Whneever soemone brand new comes to a community and instantly starts singing the priases of a certain product -- you have to be sceptical.

As far as the advntages of surfactants in generl maintennce of lawns. They can be helpful -- but they are not the cure all they are sold as.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 09-15-2004, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
nothing like a hollow or solid tine aerification!

Don't ever recall anybody in all my years on gc of somebody using such a product instead of solid or hollow tine aerification!
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Liquid Aeration

I understand what you mean about a newbe, thanks for understanding. I have been reading online about these products that clain to be just as good as aerification by machines, or better. They say that it is something that has to be repeated to notice a differance. now how many times is the question. I spoke to a guy from one of the companies that said they use it on golf couses three times a year. They told me that depending on the hardeness of the turf would determin how many times to apply. According to him, you cannot over aerate with liquid aeration.
I would love to here from anyone that has used this stuff before. Many people online have a lot of good things to say about it???
Old 09-15-2004, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Most gc will aerify greens two to three times, or more with a solid or hollow tine aerifier!
Primarly work with cool season turf