Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-08-2004, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Pelletized Compost

Has anyone ever used the Laurel Valley Soils Pelletized Compost? I am curious to hear what the results and experiences with this product have been. I have been talking with these people about using their product. Problem is, they don't have any distributors in the area. They are going to ship me a couple of bags I can test use, but if I wanted to use this stuff I'd have to buy a large quantity and/or go get the stuff myself from PA. I'm not real sure I could distribute a semi trailer full of this stuff, just to get enough for my usage. There doesn't seem to be any other dealers of this stuff anywhere around here, and this pelletized compost stuff seems to be a good alternative for top dressing when I aerate.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2004, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tom,
I checked their website and the nearest dealer is below Phila. by the Delaware border. I was planning to visit them this winter. I know that doesn't help with the aerating/topdressing now. I'm real interested how it works also. I know this didn't answer your question but I'm waiting for the storm to move north. Matt
Old 09-09-2004, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

He's got retail stores in Western PA though. His solution was me buying a semi truck full of the stuff, but I have no use for that. I'd like to get a garden supplier around here to carry the stuff for me! I've got a couple of project lawns that I think I'm going to use this stuff on and see how they turn out. The fellow I talked to seems to think that adding it after aeration is a big benefit, on par with actually topdressing. I dunno about that. All I know is top dressing equipment just hasn't come far enough for residentials, without a major expense output, for me to take up at this time. I'd like to start out with using something like this and work my way towards doing actual topdressing. If this pelletized stuff is any good.

If anyone else has input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2004, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Milorganite. $7 per 50#. Flows through your spreader. 6-2-0 analysis. Organic. What else could you ask for?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Something that doesn't smell? It's not so much the chemical composition, as much as getting organic material into the soil to help rehab the lawn.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfscape LLC
Milorganite. $7 per 50#. Flows through your spreader. 6-2-0 analysis. Organic. What else could you ask for?
Something without sewage sludge?
Old 09-11-2004, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Ringer doesn't contain any sludge.
It contains Hydrolyzed poultry feather meal, nitrate of soda, potassium sulfate, bone meal, and soybean meal.

Joe
Old 09-11-2004, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I never found the smell of Milorganite to be that offensive. It's kind of like a spicy buritto. It is organic and will do what you want as far as rehabbing the lawn. Compare prices with Nature safe or any of the poultry derivitives. Those products are way too expensive for what they are. We use it on the greens and tees at work to get the necessary organic matter. I am a believer that any turf program should include some organic fertilizers as well as synthetic.

I'll even give you a couple of bags to try on your own lawn, Tom.

And using words like "sewage" and "sludge" to connote that the product is bad for some reason doesn't fly with me. Its like we are talking politics, where the connotation of the word is more important than the meaning.

Last edited by Tscape; 09-11-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Alfalfa pellets 2.45-0.5-1.65 no smell, lots of OM, $5.70 per 50 lbs. can be applied with a modified spreader.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfscape LLC
Tom.

And using words like "sewage" and "sludge" to connote that the product is bad for some reason doesn't fly with me. Its like we are talking politics, where the connotation of the word is more important than the meaning.
I've used Milorganite in the past, with favorable results,. However, I'm ceasing to use it until I get more info about possible heavy metal contamination that is associated with Milorganite.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill