Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2001, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to share some insight on buying used skidsteers? I dont have very much experience with this type of equipment and dont want to make a costly mistake. If there are some things to form a checklist for mechanical and hydraulic concerns i would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you.
Old 01-09-2001, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I have bought one used skid steer loader. It's an early to mid 80's mustang brand. It has a 4 cylinder gas engine. My suggestion would be to definitely purchase a popular brand with a diesel engine. I often have trouble finding parts for mine, or they take a week to arrive. Also, look for all the obvious things and look to see receipts of work performed on machine. What is your price range?
Old 01-10-2001, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Several things that you will need to watch out for are overly worn pins which can make the loader sloppy,badly abused bucket which can not only be a problem in themselves but can also reflect the wear that the whole machine has had.You need to know the history behind the drive system,most skidloaders run on a chains like big bike chains and the chains as well as the sprokets can become worn and need replacement,not a big problem but something to watch out for.Control wear can also be an issue in the operation of the machine,and tire condition will be a cost if they are not in acceptable shape.As far as motors there is not much to be said other than the same thing you would look for in any motor applies here,oh and don't buy a gas machine make sure its diesel.Don't buy to old, there are tons of early 90s machine for reasonable prices.
Old 01-11-2001, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info....

I looked at a late 70's model bobcat today. 4 cyl. 30 hp. gas motor with hydrostatic belt drive. Very solid machine for its age but it was terribly slow. I dont think a machine this small would be good for heavy materials and when loading dump trucks with a wheel loader, you prolly want all the pep you can get.
I also learned that attachments for these older models are possible but also very slow. The plumbing comes out the back so you would have to run it back to the front. I see the importance of having a strong motor and will keep shopping.
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2001, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a 70's Bobcat on ebay now started at $2000, i was considering bidding on cause it's only few hours away. After thinking about it though, After tires , a couple hydraulic repairs, probably some welding and engine work i could buy a nice 90's Bobcat for about $6-7000. Check out http://www.traderonline.com there's always alot of skidsteers on there.
Old 01-14-2001, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Seems to me you should be able to get a good used; mid-time(1200 - 2500) diesel powered skidloader like a New Holland 565/665 or Bobcat for $6 - $9000. Buying a gas powered one will be a mistake. Also suggest that you shop from a reputable dealer - that way you should be able to get a decent warranty and maybe some history info. Biggest problem with the skidloaders is that most of the moving parts are covered up; wear & tear are hard to see.
Old 01-15-2001, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Reputable dealer

Yes I have been dealing with someone from Bobcat and Caterpillar. Both reps seem very anxious to sell new and are very helpful. The bobcat guy showed me the feature of accessability of the oil filter and aircleaner/other important maintenance points right in back upon opening the engine compartment. Besides this accessability the machines come with a full year warranty with the standard option to purchase "extended warranty" which is a good idea if you use your machines aggressivly.

I like the dealership idea because it provides a local service outlet who'll have parts and solutions faster than a generic shop. I also like the idea that the bobcat rep is willing to trailor a machine to my home so that i can use it for a coulple of days to see if i like it. Besides this making you feel terribly obligated to buy it seems like a really sincere gesture. Im looking forward to bangin' around the yard on someone elses machine and really see what its got. To be sure its going to be just like any other skid steer ive used, but its still fun to play.
Old 01-27-2001, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

F&S - I know this would be a ways to go for you, but D&D Eqpt in Chilton is a great place. They're a 45 min drive 1-way for me, but worth it. I bought a new Gehl 6635 a couple years ago - they have new and used, the techs there are very knowledgeable and very helpful. And the price I got smoked everyone else's. Saved $3k on mine compared to what a local dealer offered. They always have 6-10 used skidders sitting around. And they'll pick up your machine to do maintenance on it.

And for those old machines you were looking at, for loading up trucks - if you know the size trucks you'll be loading, it'd be a good idea to try out the loader doing that - you may find those old loaders can't lift too high w/o tipping, or may not be able to reach high enough to get it in the dump box. Especially if you're loading tris or quads.
Old 01-31-2001, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Well thanks everyone. stonehenge, i actually settle on a machine before you posted but it sounds like you have a good dealership to work with.

I ended up with a cat 226. they are generally around 5k more than a bobcat all the way up the line of comparable models but it was the financing that made my decision. the cats have things like double reinforced steel and two hyd. arms to bucket as opposed to one like bobc. they have a nicer ride with a spring loaded seat (i guess). I see that the cat is more heavy duty than a bobc. and even though my use wouldnt warrant the difference its nice to know its there.

cat offered 3 year buy plan with 0 interest. bobc. had nothing like that. and i figured i saved around 2 k with that. then i bought a demo with 50 hours on it which saved me another 1200.. all in all i guess i ended up paying about 1800 more for a better machine supposedly in the same class as far as motor and weight spec. (bucket lift cap., etc.)

also cat offers full rental of attachments at a discount to purchasers of equipment. bobcat has none. id be renting from cat anyway..

my salesman was very nice and helpful and gave me a complete tour of the whole facility. i never knew there was so much but fabco does own an entire block. im happy with it except for the fresh gash i noticed int he tire today. that'll be going back for replacement tomorrow. now i just need to find work for it.
Old 02-01-2001, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good choice you can never go wrong with a Cat,even though i prefer Case skidloaders,everything else I have is Cat.