Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2004, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Landscape dump instead of mason?

I am going to buy a f350 or 450 in the next 3 months. I am considering wheather i should go with the landscape dump or just a regulay mason dump. I was concerned with how the landscape dump would hold up to rock and gravel, however my dealer had a truck ont he lot with the body made by Godwin and the steet was thicker then any other landscape dump i ever seen. I think it will hold of good. Do you guys think it would be worth the extra 1200-1500 to get the landscape dump over the mason? I do grass, landscape installs, pavers, walls, and plow. So i basically do everything.

Matt
Old 09-12-2004, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

The landscape dump will be much better for brush since you'll have those enormous sides. I would imagine you could remove them as needed in winter if you wanted to add a salter.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you do a lot of rock and gravel then i would get the mason dump. if you do more grass,mulch, and leaves in fall then go with the landscape dump.

I just got a new truck and i went with the mason dump and know i wish i had the landscape dump.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Chevy 3500 with the Knapheide landscape body. I always figured I could do everything with this truck. Beyond hauling rock and gravel, etc, with a mason dump, you can't use it for much else. I do a lot of maintenance,in addition to install work and this truck is great for mulch, brush, and leaves. The truck has the wood floor and it has held up very well after 5 years.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Matt

If I were you I'd look into a mason dump. The landscape bodied rigs are nice but aren't really great for hauling stone and heavy pallets. For example if your hauling 2 pallets of stone which is about the max youd fit in any landscape body 350-450 or mason dump the landscape body would sag on the ass end much more due to the extra couple inches/foot that you get. I know a guy in town who im friends with, has a f-350-450 diesel landscape body and his primary business is lawn service but every so often he does landscape work, soon as he tried putting some stone in the truck it sagged like anything, he told me at the quarry his hitch was scraping the ground practically so he had to let some out. So as the others had pointed out, depending on what your major service is whether it is maintenance part of the business, or landscape/install part is where you'll make your choice. So IMO i'd go with a mason dump i would even suggest getting a bigger f-550 rig. Try to get something with higher sides then you can always put wooden sides on the sides of the dump body for extra room for your maintenance stuff. Well good luck, any questions or anything feel free to pm me.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2004, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truthfully, if I were you, I'd go with the mason body hands down. I do the same type of work as you and I havent really thought about getting anything but a mason. Besides, once you add sideboards you can get away with hauling 5-6 yards of mulch, and if you need to plow with it, you can take the sides off. You'll get more visibility with a mason body than you'll ever get with a landscape body when plowing.

Chris

Meadowbrook Landscaping
Dover, PA

'Beautifying the environment one landscape at a time'

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all"