Register free!

Old 09-13-2004, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

what the heck is this called ???

I live in Fl. On the West Central Gulf side, I realize late in the season you'll see this growing all over everything! I have only heard it called STINK VINE ?? it has small berries on it, and as it grows it literally will choke the life out of whatever it can manage to reach! It eventually will kill everything it comes in contact with and usually within seemingly know time at all! I have taken alot of this vine out by hand thinking that I wouldn't see it again this season but to my surprise only a few weeks later it was back with a vengence!!! can somebody help me and tell me what this vine is that i'm talking about and how to kill it? A local tree guy told me that he used a rediculous amount of round up along 1000 yds of this vine along a curve on a popular county rd, he said that it didn't even brown the vine, that it didn't affect this vine what so ever, another worker of his said that he knows of nothing that will kill this vine. I don't think this is the case, can anyone help me here, and tell me where I can get whatever I need to kill this here locally without going out of my way? I'm going to suggest this to my customer, and I want it to be done right as we live close to a river and God Knows we have enough going on here, Thanks In advance. - Joe
Jolin lawns plus ... Cuttin grass and Taken Names - In The Biz Going Into The Third Season And Lovin It! 87 ford 4.9, P.u.- customized 6x12 landscape single axle trailer - 95 proline 620 toro 42 inch deck. srm260 echo trimmer, stihl FC-85 edger, echo power pb-650. stihl HT-101 pole pruner.stihl HS 85 single sided 30" hedge trimmer. stihl chain saws and various small hand tools, pruners lopers etc. and growing.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is the description of Stink Vine
Does it look like this description?

Description: "Twining, malodorous vines; stems to 2-7 m long, puberulent in lines or sometimes glabrous. Leaves opposite, oblong-lanceolate to ovate, 4.5-14 cm long, 2-5 cm wide, glabrous except lower surface with tufts of hairs in axils of primary veins, margins entire, ciliate when young, becoming glabrate, apex acuminate or acute, base cuneate to rounded or subcordate, petioles 2-5 cm long, stipules ca. 1.5-1.7 mm long, short-acuminate, short-fimbriate-ciliate to ciliate. Flowers in cymes 2-12 cm long, sometimes several grouped together " with subtending leaves and forming panicles up to 30 cm long; hypanthium ca. 1.5 mm long; calyx lobes deltate, ca. 0.4-0.5 mm long; corolla white to pale yellow with a dark rose purple center, the tube ca. 7-11 mm long, densely floccose externally, purplish within with long, clavate, purple hairs, the lobes scarcely spreading, margins crisped-undulate; stamens inserted at different levels, included. Fruit yellowish brown to red, glossy, subglobose, 4-6 mm in diameter." (Wagner et al., 1999)