Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2004, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Unhappy Wheat Straw is germinating!!!!

I just overseeded(10 days ago) a large bare spot on the back of my lawn. I covered the grass with a layer of wheat straw.The grass germinated in 4 days(due to warm temps here in NC), however I have lots of clumps of wheat growing among my grass. I'm bummin' big time. How do I get rid of the wheat? It's almost too much to hand pull. Will Weed-B-Gone work?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 09-15-2004, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

any time you use wheat straw you are going to get some sheat growing. I wouldnt worry about it because the wheat will not last. In fact if you are in a windy location it could help protect your young grass.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldnt worry about it too much, with the hurricanes and rain we are recieving it will help to hold the soil and probby the 1st time you mow it will die out. For right now though I would leave it be

Old 09-15-2004, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. That helps a lot. Although this morning(where I seeded another bare area on the back of my lawn) I was sloshing around and pulling up clumps of the wheat. I seeded there 5-1/2 days ago. The grass(Creeping Red Fescue - the area doesn't get much sun) hasn't germinated yet. I wonder if it takes Creeping Red Fescue longer to germinate. I would have figured by now I'd have little seedlings.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
No more than 1.5 bales of weed free straw per 1000 sq ft, you should see 50% of the ground!

Sometimes straw is applied so heavy, that grass seed doesn't germinate, or dies, and the only thing that germinates is straw seed!

What about penn mulch or other simialiar products?
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 09-15-2004, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like the "sloshing around" would be more harmful than the weed seeds. Keep off the ground when its wet or you will have permenant foot prints in your lawn.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 09-16-2004, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't think I overapplied the straw. I did not have a problem with the grass germinating. I have really good coverage and it did germinate in 4 days. In hindsight, I guess sloshing around wasn't the right thing to do. I don't think I left too many footprints. Besides, it's in the back of my yard close to the woods.

I seeded the rest of my lawn last evening. No big bare spots so I just mowed, raked it out good, mowed again a little shorter, raked it out again, then mowed 1 more time. I then put down some of that Scott's Lawn soil, seeded heavily, then covered it with composed cow manure. Hopefully the rain we get from the hurricane won't be too heavy.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I seeded a 20,00 sft lawn last fall with 50% blue mix and covered it with straw. Well the wheat sure came up great in the fall until the winter hit then it stopped growing. Come the spring I had a wheat field, which after about 3 mowings, died out cause it can't take being too short. The grass grew up and the lawn looked great by late spring.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

You're in Florda, you don't have winter!!!