Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2004, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro 8-25 drive repair

Hi, my axel seems to slide back and forth thru the bearings mounted to the frame how can I fix this? I need to get another year out of this mower.

Thanx DaveM
Old 09-19-2004, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

toro drive

I had the same proble with a w/b snapper a couple of years ago. I went to the hardware store to the "Pic-A-Nut" display. Look for a Shaft Collar. Measure the thickness of the axle, mine was 3/4", and get the shaft collar to fit your axle. In my case I used 2. Take the axle out and put one shaft collar on. Then insert the axle thru the frame of the machine and install the next shaft collar. Then finish installing the axle the remainder of the way onto the machine. While holding the axle tight to the transmission, lock down both shaft collars tight to both the inside and the outside of the frame of the machine, using the allen type set screws. Check the set screws every so many days to make sure they stay tight. Normally there is a clip on both the inside and outside of the bearing on the axle. You can see the grooves on the axle when you remove it. Most times they get worn-out and the clips can no longer stay in the grooves. Take a long look at those grooves before you proceed with my method of repair. Some times you can re-work those grooves, with a small file, and insert new clips. You can get new clips, again, at the Pic-A-Nut display. They are located in Hardware stores, Lowes and Home Depot stores...at least around here. The collars run about $ 3.50-4.00 each. Keep an extra around just in case you need it later on. Let us know how you make out on this repair
Old 09-19-2004, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

toro drive repair

Sorry for the double post...my mistake. I also repaired one for another lco a couple of years ago. With his, I bought all new: the axle, 2 clips and new bearing. Get the exact same length on the axle. Just proceed to replace the whole assembly. My first post was how I did it in a pinch, for low dollars. This second method will cost a little bit more. Have fun and let us know how it turned out.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Jim... thanx for the reply! I have a new problem... My drive chain had broken twice lately, I have fixed it with the clip link sold at the mower place. Should I replace the whole chain this time? Im thinking it might be wore out. My clutch is sensitive and the mower does pop wheelies sometimes but it has always done that.
The mower is a Toro Wheelhorse 8-25 1996 vintage.

Jim one other question... Whats a good replacement mower? I need a smaller one that can get thru a 36in. gate. I will spend good money for a quality mower that will take some abuse I also tow a garden wagon so I would like some extra power. Thank You for any help!
Dave
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2004, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Toro 8-25 drive repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
Jim... thanx for the reply! I have a new problem... My drive chain had broken twice lately, I have fixed it with the clip link sold at the mower place. Should I replace the whole chain this time? Im thinking it might be wore out. My clutch is sensitive and the mower does pop wheelies sometimes but it has always done that.
The mower is a Toro Wheelhorse 8-25 1996 vintage.

Jim one other question... Whats a good replacement mower? I need a smaller one that can get thru a 36in. gate. I will spend good money for a quality mower that will take some abuse I also tow a garden wagon so I would like some extra power. Thank You for any help!
Dave
Dave; Try a new drive chain...it can't hurt. Make sure the sprockets are straight and not bent. Make sure the chain has the proper tension. The gate...Do you have to change the mower to fit the gate, or should you change the gate to fit the mower? You also say that you will spend good money for a quality mower. Stop, and take a look around at your dealers and repair shops. What do you have. Think of purchasing what is around you, therefore it can be repaired locally. Support that is local. You must have a lot of them around you, living where you do. If you got something REAL small to fit through the gate, would it increase the time spent to cut the lawn? Change the size of the gate, increase the size of the mow and DECREASE the time to mow the lawn. More time to spend with kids! If the time has come for a new mower, the time has come. Spend some serious time looking around, then make your decision based on your personal surroundings. Happy Holidays...JIM.