Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-19-2004, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

What to do about weeding flower beds

what should I charge per hour For weeding out flower beds or should I even do this? What do you think?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

weeds

IF you are maintaining a site, there should be no weeds in the flower beds. If it is the first time, charge your labor rate for how long it will take. Then continue by weeding each visit as part of your maintainence contract.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

weeding is probably one of the hardest services to price in a maintenance contract.....there are several drifferant methods to control weeds in ornmental beds and a truely effective plan is to incorporate all 3 methods to acheive desired results.
1. hand weeding (time consuming but very affective for imediate results)
2. applying a pre-emergent herbicide to prevent weed seed germination
3. application os post emergent such as round up.....evective but have to be very cautious around desired plants and grass

i will generally apply a pre-emergent at the begining of the year and hand weed bi-weekly through the remainder of the year.

its very hard to price b/c every bed is differant in the amount of weeds they will have to pull on a given week...one week it might take my weed crew an hour to pull weeds at a site and the next time if the weather conditions changed or it rained it might take them 6 hours.

honestly if you can convince a company to let you charge then by the man/hour for bed maintenance then that is going to be your best bet....i generaly say at least 25-30 dollars a man/hour...you only have a truck and some buckets and small hand tools not 30k worth in equipment so you can charge a little less....

if you have to give them a price up front for bed maintenance then i would just say good luck....b/c i have no ryme or reason for bidding beds i just know about how long its going to take my crew on a normal day and try to base my figures off that but sometimes you get screwed...its just business

heres a pic of my bed maintenance crew out at a condo complex
Attached Images

Eric Estes
Five Star Lawn Care LLC
Old 09-20-2004, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is one of those services I'd love to offer as an add-on, but I just don't have the time right now. Some of my customers actually like the weeding/gardening aspect of their property, but hate mowing. Some customers have asked me about weeding, and I've done a little bit here and there. But I'm solo, mowing 6 days a week, not any extra time to tackle a lot of weed pulling.

The one customer that I do this for regularly, I started off with a per hour charge, then shifted it to a fixed monthly fee after I got a feel for how much time I was spending.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help.