Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2000, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a tired 48" Scag hydro drive walker which I purchased new back in 1991. This machine has treated me very well through the years, but it is time for an update. I wanted to see what makes and models others were using especially what you like/dislike about the unit. Thanks for your input. Steve
Old 05-28-2000, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a new Scag 48" 17HP Kawasaki with the Advantage deck. Would highly recommend it.
Old 05-28-2000, 02:15 PM

I think a 52" is better than a 48". anyway i'd get a new 52" scag w/advantage deck if i where u. or how about a rider????
Old 05-28-2000, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

my favorite is the lesco 48 belt with the 14 hp kawasaki.<p>WHY? because it had done me a very good job for the last four years and it's the mower I own.<p>If I owned a different brand, that brand would probably be my favorite.<p>DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR--I think lesco is hard to beat (can be had for $2100 on promotion).<p>if I had spent $4000 plus, I'd probably say the exmark hydro with floating deck was the best because that is probably what I'd buy.<p>GEO
Old 05-28-2000, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a big Scag fan and I am getting a new ultimate 48&quot; hydro with a 17 hp kawi.
Old 05-28-2000, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

i have two walkbehinds...one is a 48 belt toro the other 52 belt toro both machines have been excellant with No problems they are about 6 years old other than a belts changed last year these machines have been trouble free i like the 48 belt less scalping however the new toro 52 have two new anti scap roller one the new machines..when i need to replace i would look at the 52 inch deck. both toro's have koler 14 horsepower. i would say that i am using them close to 60 hours per week with no problems I hope that will help you
Old 05-28-2000, 07:49 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Coldbrook I have a 44&quot; belt drive for sale.<br>Completly redone with only about 300 total hours.<br>Has orig. B & S 11hp IC w/ a toro bagging<br>kit. New carb, starter spring, rope, and ratchet. $1300 FOB Eastern PA.<p>You need a spare if you are putting 30 hours<br>per week on each machine.
Old 05-28-2000, 09:27 PM

hey tim, just my opinion but i'd save the money and get a fixed deck scag instead of the ultimite scag. I demoed an ultimite scag and hate the floating deck. it's to heavy and hard to get up curbs and stuff. The deck still scalpes and digs into the ground and you can't even lift up the deck like you can on a fixed deck. otherwise it's a great machine
Old 05-28-2000, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all your inputs. What is the benefit of the scag advantage deck? Just curious, I'd much rather hear it from you guys that actually use this equipement than from the dealer's salesman. Steve.
Old 05-28-2000, 11:41 PM

the advantage deck cuts tall grass better and there is less blowout. the way the deck is angled in the front gives the grass a chance to stand up before it's cut. I realy does work well in tall grass and normal grass too.