Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2004, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Member

which truck 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

I need a pickup that can haul at least 7000lbs on occasion. How do 1/2 tons handle 7000lbs saying it had a v8 engine?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We probably need a little more info........Do want to haul with a trailer or in the bed? My guess would be go with the 3/4....

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 09-20-2004, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan on hauling 7000 you need a 1 ton,if you plan on towing it you need at least a 3/4, I have a 1/2 and have only ever pulled more than 5000 on it once, it was to much (duh) i did not have a choice. It can pull 4000 fine, as long as it has brakes.But hauling is a hole other story, 2000 lbs MAX. I try to never exceed 1200.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

sorry, I will be towing 7000lbs. I didnt even think a 3/4 ton could handle 3000lbs weight in the bed, hence 3/4 ton.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had several 1/2 tons and 2 years ago I bought a 2500HD 3/4 ton but is actually a 1 ton frame and I dont know how I was pulling trailer before. There is a huge differance is handling. If you can do it go with at least the 3/4 ton
Old 09-22-2004, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

If in doubt, go with the 3/4 ton, that way you are covered when you have those few jobs that pop up that have the extra capacity is appreciated. I have had 4000lb in my 3/4 ton, I dont recommend it, and wont do it again, but it handled it.

I just wont have anything less than a 3/4 ton for working anymore.

Bryan
Old 09-23-2004, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought a ton was 2,000 lbs? (or 2,240lbs actually). I never have understood what 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or 1 ton really mean? So, here goes....what DO they mean? Geez, do I feel silly for not knowing....

I tow my 6,000 lb boat with my 1/2 ton Durango. It's pushing it, but handles it okay. I kept a real close eye on my tranny fluid and inspected/changed it twice this summer with all the boat towing, seems to be doing fine. It's actually got 3.55 geared diffs. and 35" swampers which lowers the effective ratio even more. I'm only turning 2K on the tach on 3rd gear on the hwy. Scared the heck out of me at first, thinking I'd burn up my tranny in short order, but seems to be fine.

kaptain_k
Old 09-23-2004, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

The ton rating refers to the manufactorer's of the payload capacity(load added to the truck by you), this includes passengers, fuel, tools, and cargo. Towing capacity is different and is based on the package you purchased, it should be posted in your owners manual.

Many people (including me) believe they post a certain rating knowing that many people will go over it, but if you do, they are not responsible. Heavy duty pickups seem to have more fudge factor built in, that is they handle the people like me who push the ratings. Like I said, I have put 4000 lbs in my 3/4 ton pickup. This is grossly overweight, by double, and I wont do it again, but it handled it.

A 1/2 ton pickup may be rated for, say, 9000 lbs towing, and a 3/4 ton pickup may be rated for 13000 lbs towing, but the 3/4 ton pickup can usually handle towing over that rating (especially with a diesel engine) better than the 1/2 ton can handle just under its rated towing capacity. Thats why I feel better with at least a 3/4 ton pu, most people who use their pu's to work, eventually push the ratings.

These opinions are not based on scientific fact, just my observations. Anyone feel free to refute them.

Bryan
Old 09-23-2004, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Well that's what I figured, it was the payload rating. Still seems odd though. For instance, my Durango has seating for 9, yet only rated to stuff 1,100lbs. in it? Show me a group of 9 adults that doesn't exceed 1,100lbs. Really, I guess it'd seat 6 'comfortably' in the 3 rows...so 6 at 200 lbs.....I guess that works at 1,200lbs....NO beer tho, you're already over!

~K_K
Old 09-24-2004, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

blafleur-
I too have done almost the same. I did a full pallet of legacy blocks. I was told it was 3500 lbs. My mud flaps were about an inch off of the ground. I just had the guys push the pallet over the axles and i seemed to do ok. I have a 95 dodge 2500. This was the first time i really pushed my truck like that. This winter i am going to put some overload springs on there. I know that will make the truck squat less, do you think it is still unwise to haul that much in the bed? (I hate delivery charges)