Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2004, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

replacement rear leafs on c1500?

Im told that I need to replace the rear leaf springs on my 99 gmc c1500 and am wondering if anyone has done so with an aftermarket company. I googled it and didnt find what i was after so im hoping y'all can help me out.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why,are they cracked,or what?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, why do you need to replace them??
Old 09-22-2004, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It shouldn't be that hard to find some at a salvage yard. Like the others said, what's wrong with the ones on your truck? I have an '81 Chevy C-10 and noticed the back of the truck dropping down with the trailer hooked up. I replaced the front shocks with heavy duty Monroe's and then picked up some load helpers for the springs in the back. That didn't quite do it so I also put on some heavy duty coil over shocks and it took care of the problem. There's also kits you can buy to add a leaf spring and they usually come with the extended U bolts. That may be the way you want to go instead of replacing the existing springs.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

reason for replacement is simply because the truck in general leans to the drivers side. Its been like that since i got it 2nd hand about 2yrs ago, but has gotten progressively worse. Mechanic says that asside from cosmeticly, there is no reason to replace them. They quoted me ~$700 installed for a 4 leaf set-up, an upgrade from the stock 3 leaves. is that a high quote or fair?
Old 09-22-2004, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check your shocks before you chunk out the money, doesn't sound like a leaf to me. If it is a leaf it will sag vary badly and most likely handle poorly(lots of swaying)

That seems way to high, I had to have a leaf replaced on a truck i bought not long ago,I got a used spring at a junk yard for $40 and a mechanic installed it for $45 for a total of $85.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Mechanic says that asside from cosmeticly, there is no reason to replace them.
Is it really worth $700? Will your customers even notice? Does it go away when the trailer is on? Does it affect handling? Any chance you could post a pick. That's just a lot of grass to cut to pay for something that looks different.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think $700 is way out of the ballpark. I can get leaf springs from a salvage yard (both sides) from a 3/4 ton truck for about $180. You just need to make sure they are the same length and will fit your mounting brackets. If you're planning on upgrading the springs (eg.-from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton) I would go ahead and also buy the brackets. Then it's an easy, but time consumming, process. That should solve the suspension problems, and will also keep the back from dipping when you hook up a trailer.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it could be because im a yuppie in training, but I have this huge red flag pop into my mind whenever i hear the word junk yard. That would be the absolute last place i would go to get parts to fix a vehicle. Are you guys serious?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLawnCo
it could be because im a yuppie in training, but I have this huge red flag pop into my mind whenever i hear the word junk yard. That would be the absolute last place i would go to get parts to fix a vehicle. Are you guys serious?
Why not? If a similar truck was the rear ender in an accident, probably nothin' wrong with the rear leaf springs.....

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"