Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2004, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brush trailer

I am about to order a 8.5x20 trailer for brush jobs this winter and was wondering what sides would you choose? 4 foot expanded metal sides or 4 foot plywood sides??
Old 10-03-2004, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just recently bought a new open trailer (16x8.5') and I debated spending the extra bucks on expanded metal sides. The option of a 2' sides sounded good, but 4' would be better for hauling brush and mulch. Ultimately I decided it was not worth the extra money, the inconvenience of fueling mowers and I did not want to deal with installing trimmer and blower racks with the expanded metal sides.

Later in the week, after I ordered it, we were hit with the first of three hurricanes At that point I was kinda kicking myself for not getting the expanded metal sides.

After hauling a good deal of debris with the trailer the way it is, I decided to go the plywood route. I used it for the first time today and it worked great. Full over the top, it gave me no problems at all. I did not have to modify the trailer at all and it is pretty rigid the way we did it. It's not going to go anywhere. I drove it at speeds up to 70mph just to see if it would sway empty and it was perfectly fine.

I think with a little practice two people can put the sides on and take them off in 15 minutes. Bottom line, for me it was the perfect solution. If it was full-time debris hauler, I would go with the expanded metal side.