Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2000, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

well i have narrowed it down to what truck i will be getting. Ive decided on a 2001 gmc sierra 2500 ext cab fully loaded 6ft bed. I will be getting it for about 30,000 bucks. i cant decide whether i should lease or buy. i want to lease because i could put alot less down ($3,000 instead of $15,000) and have alot lower payments. at the same time i feel like if i lease it the truck wouldnt be mine. it wont get beat up because all my equipment will be going in the trailer so im not worried about damage. Even if i were to buy it i dont think i would keep it for more than 3-4 years because i dont feel like dealing with mechanical difficulty. The dealer will not be able to start turing in orders to GMC till end of June probly and i wont have it till october. You guys might think im crazy for spending so much for a new truck ut i figure i work so dam hard for my money.... for once im gonna spoil my self! what do you think i should do?
Old 05-29-2000, 01:28 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
evan asked:<p>&gt;what do you think i should do? <br> <br>I think you should buy a good used full size <br>reg cab 8 ft box GM p/u for under $5000 that was<br>lovingly maintained and was only used to go fishing by some old retired guy.<br>
Old 05-29-2000, 04:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree about getting a well maintained used truck. I have a feeling from your post though that this will also be a vehicle for personal use. If thats the case I can understand why you want to buy new. I see some incredible deals out there on 2-5 year old trucks in great shape, so don't let the shiney new paint get you too excited!! Good Luck with whatever you decide though!!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 05-29-2000, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will concur with the rest, that new truck will remain so for a day, then join the ranks of the scratch and dent specials after the first week of work use.<p>Been there. Not likely again.<p>Bill
Old 05-29-2000, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The question is will you be able to stay within the mileage limits of the lease.If not you will be paying an outrageous penalty.<br>I saved over $5000 when i bought my 99'chevy used with 3000 miles on it.you can also check the background of the used truck by using the vin# on the net.Hope this helps.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: DMC300
Old 05-29-2000, 09:44 AM

I agree, try and find you a nice used deisel truck. Lot of them out there for under 15,000$. But if you choose a 30000$. i would go with a lease if you can stay within the milleage quota if the penaltys are high. Something may happen to where you ccan't make the high payment. Would be nice to know the end is near in a lease
Old 05-29-2000, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 99' 3/4 ton 4x4 with 12,000 miles for under 20 thosand with the idea it was going to be my personal vehicle. We dont put tools in them much ether but the cab will still get filled with grass, dirt, mulch ect.<br>I cant imagine what this would do to a plush, fully loaded cab! Get a god used truck , Chemlanw sold 93 f250's with 90 some thosand miles for $1,200 And They look vary nice on the outside to. if I had know there would be three of them in my driveway now!
Old 05-29-2000, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

buy
Old 05-29-2000, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Ask your accountant. The deductions may sway your decision.
Old 05-29-2000, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like buying new because you will have no problems for a few years and that alone is worth the extra payments but buying used is always cheaper. I would have 2 good mechanincs look at the truck if your buying used and take your time looking around if you do buy used. I think new is the best way to go if your going to use the hell out of it why not put all the miles on your self and take care of it yourself (high octane gas, Oil changes every3k) i would say buy new dont lease (chevys last forever)or 95 and up nothing older. Good luck.