Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2004, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

1/2 or 3/4 ton trucks compared to cabover for plowing

In 6 to 12 months I'm going to be up grading my truck. I would love to get a used cab over and build a landscape body for it. I'm just not sure a 2wd cabover will have the guts to push 200-300'' of snow a year. Has anyone ever run a cabover and a 1/2 or 3/4 ton p/u alongside a cabover?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see guys use cabovers but I wouldn't go near snow with a 2wd drive. Both my trucks are 2500 series and are 4x4s. I couldn't see anything smaller being able to handle much.

masonry and landscape services for the lower hudson valley
Old 09-24-2004, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're going to push snow commercially, go with atleast a 3/4 ton. The differences are too many to list...there are several threads on this. Either you can go out and play in the snow, or go out to move it.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok let me reword this a little bit.

Will a Isusu NPR with lots of weight in the rear push as much snow as 3/4 ton 4wd pickup?
Old 09-24-2004, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about "as much" snow, because you will always run into different conditions for needed traction. For instance, backing up inclines, whether it be a loading dock, approach near a road (even a slight incline can reak havoc on a 2 wheel), or even a driveway. If you don't already have a 4 wheeler out there doing it also, I would be leaning toward doing that. Just my opinion.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't think one of the COE trucks would plow very well even with 2-3 ton over the rear wheels because the front wheels would slide all over the place. If you wanted to plow buy a beater 4x4 just for the job and buy the COE for the rest of the jobs you need todo. You need to get momentum to plow with the COE trucks you don't have the speed todo that the little engines in those trucks don't have the power.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Just a thought but Mitsubishi has a Cab over in 4wd....that may help you if you must have a cabover....Personally, we use std 3/4 ton 4x4 Pickups...
Andrew
Old 09-24-2004, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been looking for a couple of days online for a Mitsubishi FG 4WD. I have yet to find a used one. Anyone know of a website I should look at?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

It sounds as though you want more than a standard pick up, hence the reference to the Isuzu N series. My recommendation would be to look also at the Chevy/ GMC C series 4x4. New for 2005MY, they start at 17,500lbs and will do a real job on the amount of snowfall that you mention. Attached is a link, let me know if you need more help.

http://www.gmfleet.com/us/products/v...iumDuties.html
Old 09-24-2004, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bay de Noc

I have a 99 Mitsi short w/b,4 cyl,auto, 10' platform dump,locker in the rear,8' Meyer Poly,and a Down East 1.5 yrd sander. It pushes like a tank, best on flater ground.I can plow down a sloping drive and back out OK, but I can't plow up a sloping drive, even with only 1" of snow. Also, you can't plow drives with steep approches off the roadway. The push frame will plow into the blacktop and gouage holes.My biggest problem is with the truck wireing .The wires are minumieum in size and circuts burn out.I have added extra lights in the back for saftey with the sander on.I have lost my headlights 2 times while plowing,luckly I was in a lighted parking lot.Each time I had sections of wireing upgraded.

Gene