Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-26-2004, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sniggly- Its a fair question. I could tell from the begining I wasnt getting coverage. I felt I should finish what I started. In other words, I knew the amount of coverage I was getting wouldnt hurt and I could adjust for it when I came back. If I felt it was too much I would have stopped right then.

I do think calibrating the spreader for this product and adjusting the overlap as most do for these lesco spreaders is what I need to do.

thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Finn - you need to throw back to the last wheel tracks. Use the side-shield
on the edges. Your agitator sounds fine -was the fert was wet and/ or clogging? If all three holes were open - all you can do is throw that guage book away and learn how much your spreader puts out at your walking speed.... Just takes getting to know the ol girl. Open her up some on some black-top like an earlier post suggests. How large were the prills?
Old 09-28-2004, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Greenitup- I went back and threw to my last wheel track and open it up a bit. Still not satisfied but I felt like I was at least getting some coverage. Still have product left over that should have been used. So what I plan to do is calibrate the spreader at my original setting and at my speed to see what exactly it was putting out. The fert was dry and no clogging.

I am starting to believe the calibration info from the mfg is not reliable.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINN
Greenitup- I went back and threw to my last wheel track and open it up a bit. Still not satisfied but I felt like I was at least getting some coverage. Still have product left over that should have been used. So what I plan to do is calibrate the spreader at my original setting and at my speed to see what exactly it was putting out. The fert was dry and no clogging.

I am starting to believe the calibration info from the mfg is not reliable.
The only way is to calibrate your spreader to whatever material that you're using. You can't really go by what a "bag" or "mfg" says, especially if you can see that it's not working.

The nice thing is, unless you're doing ALOT of different products, you should only have to do the "1000' " test 1 time for each product, then write the numbers down on the spreader book so you have them.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bet it is a prill size issue. To help I wonder what number setting on you Lesco walk behinds you are usually at. It will depend partly on overlap and I had no idea some throw to the last tire pass. You walk more but get more even coverage I suppose. I think I am usually set at 15 for sythetic products and 21 for organics. Of course these generalizations mean little when as you mentioned overlap, prill size and correct lbs per K for that product are major factors.
Where I used to work they would tell us what to set the spreader at and at the end of the day use the number of bags and the total square footage to keep us on our game, cost wise.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Lesco spreaders also have an adjustment on the bottom of the hopper - make sure that is set correctly.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rt45 - the third hole was open. I am not aware of any other adjustments that could be made on the bottom of the hopper. I would like to know more if there is. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finn:
Give your Lesco reps a call and explain the problem to them. If they don't give you a good answer (because some of them have no practical experience), ask them to get an answer from a technical person in the company. Our Lesco spreaders have all been accurate when we apply their products per label information. Also, you may want to make sure the settings you are using are for the correct model spreader.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I aggree. I have been pushing a lesco spreader for 15 years and have never had a calibration issue.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

one more thought.......are you sure of the lawn size???

silly question i know, but if your measurements are off....... that would account for the 'light' application.