Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: What do you think of the reputation point system?
Think itís a great idea 13 16.67%
Think itís a great idea 7 8.97%
Neutral 20 25.64%
Dislike it 6 7.69%
Wished it were scrapped 32 41.03%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2004, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Critical Care:
But if you rate the thread then it doesnt matter who wrote it. For example, if i started a thread and you despised me, but you learned from the thread, then give it good rating. Either way it wont affect me personally at all.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear you, Acute Cut, however doesn't it make sense that if someone dislikes you then it's going to be hard for that person to remain unbiased towards what you post? It's kind of like the diehard republicans and democrats who say "I've alway's voted along the party line, and I always will." Some people are just deadset in their ways regardless of "content matter."
Old 10-10-2004, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I've seen over on AS, even if someone who starts the thread isn't generally well liked, if there is a LOT of good info in the thread (and people take the time to vote), the thread will be rated.

I've never bothered to try to find out how the rating is done there. I know that a rating doesn't show up most times if I vote for a certain rating on a certain thread. So I suppose several people have to vote, then the vote is averaged. PL would probably know more about it, and I doubt it would be hard for Sean(LS) to ask Darrin(AS) if PL doesn't know.

Most threads on AS are NOT rated. Only the really good ones are usually rated.

Case in point to your "biased-ness" worries:
Say I start a thread, post the original message stating that "Fabric is necessary under ALL mulches" (BTW, I never would actually say this). As many know (all SHOULD), that statement is widely accepted as UNTRUE. So, lets say 10 other people correct me on this. You don't like me, but the content is good, past my original post. I would imagine that you would still vote for a certain rating if you felt the need to vote.

Oh, one more thing. The thread ratings on AS are only positive ratings. AFAIK, there are NO negative ratings possible....

Dan
Old 10-10-2004, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I pay almost no attention to it.

For the most part, I know who to look for (and who to ignore) when I need advice.

edit: sorry, neutral.
I agree with GreenMonster on this one. It doesnít take very long to figure out who is giving knowledgeable information and who has a biased opinion that just want to raise their post counts. I personally donít pay any attention to the whoís-who because I donít care what their reputation is. I can figure that out myself!
Old 10-14-2004, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have had 2 negative feedbacks in the last 2 days, for the simple reason that I am a teenager. This is out of control!
Old 10-14-2004, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proenterprises
i have had 2 negative feedbacks in the last 2 days, for the simple reason that I am a teenager. This is out of control!
Don't worry Sean is going to get rid of the reputation points program on Monday, he said so in this post dated 10-07-04 and I haven't noticed a retraction by him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams
20 pages of replies and thousands of viewings of this thread...wow

I am going to get rid of the rating system on Monday. I have read enough and did not think it would create such a whirlwind of controversy. Unless there is an overwhelming response to keep the feature, it should be gone by the beginning of the week.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Medic
Don't worry Sean is going to get rid of the reputation points program on Monday, he said so in this post dated 10-07-04 and I haven't noticed a retraction by him.

Thank God, Im so sick of this amateur bs with others leaving me negative because what I say is "immature" or "im just a kid"

Thanks Sean.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proenterprises
Thank God, Im so sick of this amateur bs with others leaving me negative because what I say is "immature" or "im just a kid"

Thanks Sean.

Now before you get too excited, he didn't say which Monday
Old 10-14-2004, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Medic
Now before you get too excited, he didn't say which Monday
lol turfmedic, yeah, however, sean is a man of his word from what i have learned. i am sure he will get it done without stringing us along
Old 10-14-2004, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the points are pointless. If you start thread and you don't like what others are telling you then ignore the advice. However, If you like the advice then take it into consideration. Just because someone has a good reputation doesn't mean that they have good advice.