Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: What do you think of the reputation point system?
Think it’s a great idea 13 16.67%
Think it’s a great idea 7 8.97%
Neutral 20 25.64%
Dislike it 6 7.69%
Wished it were scrapped 32 41.03%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2004, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Medic
Anybody seen Sean, looks like the poll is running 2 to 1 in favor of dumping the point system. Above post was from 10-7-04
Actually its running almost 50%-50% from neutral position. If you don't like it ignore it, if you like it use it.

Mac
Old 10-19-2004, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
Actually its running almost 50%-50% from neutral position. If you don't like it ignore it, if you like it use it.

Mac

Not sure about your math, if you give all the neutral votes to the positive side it comes out about 50-50 (36-34) but if you discount the neutral or split them down the middle it is more like 60%-40% in favor of dumping it. And to correct my earlier post that isn't 2 to 1 it is 3 to 2 in favor of dumping.

My only thought is, when it comes to opinions which is what this thread is, how do you give a point or a ding either way, unless you are trying to dump votes so you can give someone a second vote.

But now you can give me another ding if you so desire
Old 10-19-2004, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

First have you seen my name after any of your dings? If I ding you its becouse of something you said that I strongly disagree with and my name will be with it. Its not worth worrying about from my point of view, and I don't know why your complaining your not glowing red, so apparently you gained points along with losing some. It would be nice if the system captured a name, but it does not so that is what we live with. And only 70 votes out of 23k members have voted so it does not seem like a pressing matter to most.JMO

Mac
Old 10-20-2004, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
First have you seen my name after any of your dings? If I ding you its becouse of something you said that I strongly disagree with and my name will be with it. Its not worth worrying about from my point of view, and I don't know why your complaining your not glowing red, so apparently you gained points along with losing some. It would be nice if the system captured a name, but it does not so that is what we live with. And only 70 votes out of 23k members have voted so it does not seem like a pressing matter to most.JMO

Mac

I was basing my earlier post on one that Sean had posted saying he was going to dump the points program, based on the number of pages and views in another thread. My question was basically, what had happened to his decision, his board, his choice what to do, but it has been my experience in my limited time here that he usually follows through. Didn't really understand why he had made a statement like this and then dropped it.

Below is the post that I am referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams
20 pages of replies and thousands of viewings of this thread...wow

I am going to get rid of the rating system on Monday. I have read enough and did not think it would create such a whirlwind of controversy. Unless there is an overwhelming response to keep the feature, it should be gone by the beginning of the week.
And you are correct about the fact that you put your name after the dings you give. Below is the post that to use your words "you strongly disagreed with" so you felt a need to give a negative reputation point on, and yes you did sign it. But hey whatever rocks your boat.

Quote:
Thank you Sean, so pleased with your decision I even sent you some points
Old 10-20-2004, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

TurfMedic:
You could always do like some people do and whine about every little point they lose and say it is for no reason. Soon you will get pity points galore and have two or three squares.

The dings i hate is when they dont even write why or anything at all. I get some love for ya later after i shoot some of my load on some others.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the most fascinating things about this reputation thing, at least to me. Is how it seems to have changed a lot of the input here, some of the people that used to post a lot of useful information, seem to be posting just to post. They have a lot of reputation point 2 or 3 green squares, but now the posts seem to be either hyper-critical of another individual or back slapping another member, and mostly off topic or of no technical value. No where near the intelligent helpful information that they used to provide. JMO
Old 10-20-2004, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some of you have made a whole thing out of this when it really could have been just used occasionally for really good info or out and out lies. Using it all the time for every little thing just makes it useless. People aren't getting or giving points for good info there giving or taking based on whether they agree or disagree with opinions. Thats why I hate people and prefer the company of dogs. There are so many immature people it runes every thing. Turn the dang thing off or at least don't allow it's use for off topic discussions. If it's turned off maybe we can talk about something else for a while.......but no if we turn it off now I bet we have to talk about that for ever. LOL
Old 10-21-2004, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
One of the most fascinating things about this reputation thing, at least to me. Is how it seems to have changed a lot of the input here, some of the people that used to post a lot of useful information, seem to be posting just to post. They have a lot of reputation point 2 or 3 green squares, but now the posts seem to be either hyper-critical of another individual or back slapping another member, and mostly off topic or of no technical value. No where near the intelligent helpful information that they used to provide. JMO
Absolutely correct, Turf Medic, and I believe that a number of people see it this way, and Leadarrows you’re right too. Human nature will cause the system to fail.

What was “theoretically” intended to encourage and acknowledge good posts has turned out to be “entertainment tonight.” Regardless of what the majority thinks of it, it has succeeded in providing feedback, and a number of posts. This in itself may have been an underlying or unforeseen objective that Sean has adhered to, despite the maturity level issue. The maturity issue of it Leadarrows may have been provoked initially by grading people as “auras of light”, “becoming famous”, and so forth. These terms were not needed, but were used unfortunately for their intertainment value.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Care
Absolutely correct, Turf Medic, and I believe that a number of people see it this way, and Leadarrows you’re right too. Human nature will cause the system to fail.

What was “theoretically” intended to encourage and acknowledge good posts has turned out to be “entertainment tonight.” Regardless of what the majority thinks of it, it has succeeded in providing feedback, and a number of posts. This in itself may have been an underlying or unforeseen objective that Sean has adhered to, despite the maturity level issue. The maturity issue of it Leadarrows may have been provoked initially by grading people as “auras of light”, “becoming famous”, and so forth. These terms were not needed, but were used unfortunately for their intertainment value.

For the entertainment of the members or the entertainment of the owners, moderators and sponsors. Hopefully not the latter elsewise no better than throwing a bunch of different colored balls into a monkey cage and watching them fight over them.