Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2000, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After billing the customer the first of the month for services rendered the previous month, how long do you wait before contacting them regarding payment. My invoices clearly state "Due on receipt". Cash flow is extremely important, however, I don't want to appear to be overly pushy. On the other hand, especially if it is a new customer, I don't want to get too many cuts into the next month before I find out if they will be a problem payor. Comments much appreciated. Thanks.
Bassman
Old 09-13-2000, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our billing goes out the last day of the month, they have to the 15th to pay. If by the last day of next billing cycle we charge a $5.00 late fee and by the 15th intrest at 5%
Old 09-13-2000, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i give customers a call if they are one month over due on there bils. Its just a simple call start with a question like " just wondering if u recived last months statement?"...if they say yes that ask when u expect payment

Eric Estes
Five Star Lawn Care LLC
Old 09-13-2000, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would give a phone call 2 or three days before i run statments explaining,that your having some problem with your mail service and was woundering if it might be lost and that you didn't want to upset anyone by charging a finace charge wrongly.mine is 21.75%apr.iJust for the record iI would rather have the money owed than the interest, you have to have a lot of past due to ammount to anything and anyway you can't pay your bills on interest you
haven't collected.
Old 09-13-2000, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Net 30 days, 1.5% interest after 30 days. The interest incouraged payment sooner for most customers.
Old 09-13-2000, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Net 15 days - I give a call at 20 days saying that I don't want them to have undue interruption in their service. 1.5% after 30 days.
Old 09-13-2000, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

30 days.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 09-13-2000, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

30 days. Most pay on time. There's always 1 or 2 who are late.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 09-13-2000, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Keeping your cash flow up is really important. We bill as soon as the last cut takes place for that month. Therefore the majority of money comes in before the 15th which coincides with my bills. Commercial accounts pay on the 1st and 15th of every month. Landscape jobs and special svcs. are due upon completion. When I finish they put the check in my hand! On high dollar accounts I will hand deliver the invoice/bill and usually get paid on the spot. Plus this gives me a chance to review the property with the client to make sure he or she is satisfied. If i'ts after the 15th don't be affraid to make a courtsey call inquiring about past due funds. The longer you wait, the more $$$ they owe you and the harder it is to get all your money at once, good luck!

We kick the competition in the grass!
Old 09-14-2000, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't call unless it becomes chronic. Many of my clients are wealthy and go away for a month or more at a time. There are a few who are 30-40 days paying every month, but I charge them more. For new customers: I call in the middle of the month after the bill is sent to see if they are happy with their service and if they are getting the bill, all the PR stuff.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA