Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2004, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

JD 757 or ZD 21 Kubota

I am looking at both and don't know if the Kubota is worth the extra money. I only mow 2 or 3 yards a week, one being 5 acres with inclines. I want the best machine for the money and the one that will last the longest with the least amount of problems. I have drove the 757 and it is the smoothest mower I have been on as far as the hydralic system. I have not drove a ZD 21 yet though. I did a search and it seems people are split on the ZD 21, but need to know for sure before I put out any money.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed the 757 and its a sweet mower. Does hold hills well.. I'm not buying anymore Deere equipment because the dealer here doesn't give a $hit about you, but the mower itself is great. Never demoed a Kubota but they look well built..
www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn
Old 10-03-2004, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I have "tested" the Kubota on the dealer's property , mot a full demo by any means . However, I'd say it would be worth your time to demo it . My impression of the Kubotas is that they were built very well and would last just about forever . I wound up not buying one and now my biggest regret is that I didn't .
The only complaints I remember hearing related to cut . Some loved em, some hated 'em . I'd guess it depends on the type of grass and the conditions you're using it in . This can only be answered by demoing under your conditions . If you're willing to spend the amount of money either mower is going to cost you, might as well give both a good run through .
Old 10-03-2004, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mac, I have a 737 and I really like it. but I never demoed the kubuta so I could not compare them. I did get a price on one and it was a lot $$$$ than the deere was. Im sure they are fine mowers though.

Danny
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I was worried about power with the diesel being only 21 hp and quality of cut. I know the diesel has alot more torque but is it enough for a 60" deck? I will not be mowing hay feilds just centipede and other NC grasses with some hills.

Thanks Mac
Old 10-03-2004, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Kubota ZG 20. Not quite the same but are very close. I've had mine for about 2 months now. I love it. The controls are up there, nice a smooth compaired to a few others I tried. One thing that I found that its not the best on hills. It does run away on me. When driving down them, but driving up is no problem at all. But I have noticed if you put the seat all the way back and you drive smart on hils you are ok. But its been talked about that most ZTRs do this on hills from what I have picked up on. They do cut pretty nice. One of the reasons I went with Kubota is the resale value and what they gave me on my trade in lol. Old kubota G4200 tractor. I paid $1,900 and they gave me $2,500 on trade. Can't complain about that lol It saves me so much time Compared to what I started out with 8 years ago. An old 1974 Allis-Chalmers 716H Garden tractor.

B.J.'s Lawn Service
"You grow it...I'll mow it!"

William Jordan
Old 10-03-2004, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

kubota is a quality machine. but, we had a zd21 and it seemed way underpowered with a 60" deck. do yourself a big favor and get the zd28.
good luck
Dan

If you don't love it, leave it:
Let this song I'm singin' be a warnin'.
If you're runnin' down my country, man,
You're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
God Bless Our Troops!
http://www.nra.org/ http://patriotguard.org/
Old 10-03-2004, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it that a ZD 28 has more power to pull the hills or does it just stick better with the added weight. Any 757 guys have any comments.

Thanks Mac
Old 10-03-2004, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Kubota Weight

I know a couple of guys who use Kubota's for personal use (one gas and one diesel) and they both love them! I love the idea of a diesel but I worry about the weight of these machines on customers lawns. Anyone with experience care to share their experiences with the weight of a Kubota Diesel?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe they mean the ZD-28 is more suited to the 60" deck because of the additional power. I read of the ZD-21 being a little weak with the 60" so I went ahead and purchsed the 28 hp model. I provide lawncare for a factory that has a steep incline. I can fly up it, with only a small change in the sound of the engine.