Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2004, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How do you folks estimate a cemetary?

I wanted to ask you folks who do cemetarys how do you estimate them? I know how to figure most properties now with no problem (still screw up sometimes) but I have never done one so I have no idea how long it would take. As I posted yesterday I went and looked at one and passed on it. Client calls this PM and wants to know if anyway I could do it Monday being they are having a funeral tuesday. He has one of the biggest lco in my area doing it one time a month for 275 and offered me 300 bucks. I kindly told him I could not do it tommorow and just did not have the manpower to tackle that job nor would I do it one time a month (bahai). The cemetary is roughly 3 acres and it is packed with graves. Dont think I could even use a rider at all on it. Im fixing to drop a rental property I have that are SLOW payers, have not paid for August yet and its 200 a month. Needed to replace it real bad I did not feel like I could handle this. Last year I was offered an 8 acres cemetary for, get this, 200 bucks. I almost busted out laughing but held my professionalism and told them no thanks. How do you folks with more expertise bid on these things? Thanks?

Danny
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 10-03-2004, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Have two at this time,

Hi guy, if it is of any help, The older the harder I have found, (The stone spacing) is what is a killer on the old ones, Very hard to get inbetween. I know I dont make what I should but I find them relaxing to cut, and enjoy them, I have a 600 stone takes me solo about 7 hours. charge $245 per cut and trim, Alot of trimming, 2nd one is newer, 400 stones, 4.5 hours just about all with small Zero turn. $225.00 per cut, Hope this helps, I know I am lower but these were my first accounts, and I enjoy them, I guess that counts for alot. Good luck and take care! Blair
Old 10-03-2004, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Blair, thanks, did not think to ask client how many stones were their, but it is well over 600. I was scared to take it even at 300 and only once a month at that. If I had one good helper might have tackled it.

Danny
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Old 10-03-2004, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Big thing is trimming.

I used to do a cemetary with 25 rows and each row had about 25 some more some less. The spacing between rows was big but inbetween each stone was tight most of the time, with a 60" lazer and one guy trimming I would get it done in about 2 and a half hours. Probably about a 3 or 4 acre lot total (it had some open area). This was when i was working for a company and the guy would give the church and cemetary a discount and he was only charging 195 a cut for the place.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

just try to look and see how long it would take you and go from there... good luck... those cemateries up here take for ever to do cuz there old.. but there sure is lot of whipping.. would not mind doin them though... put a bid in for next year so we will see... good luck
Old 10-03-2004, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be like an obstacle course. Consider applying a growth regulator. That will cut down on trimming time.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mico Landscaping design
just try to look and see how long it would take you and go from there... good luck... those cemateries up here take for ever to do cuz there old.. but there sure is lot of whipping.. would not mind doin them though... put a bid in for next year so we will see... good luck
Mico, that was the problem, I could not figure my time being I have never done one before. If there is one thing I have learned is if you are unsure or uncomfortable with a job, leave it alone! I remember my first year in biz when a client offered me 200 to do his yard and all I could see was $$ signs. Man, did I lose my a$$ on that yard. Took 19 hours and 5 months to get my money. I aint forgot that lesson yet!

Danny
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

dont be cheep

ive been moweing a cemetary for 3 years now and it takes me and two others 6 hours to mow and weed eat, it pays 675.00 per cut and this is in the poor state of Mississippi. so i dont know how you guys stay in business mowing so cheep. anyway its better to walk away than to mow to cheep.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertiger
ive been moweing a cemetary for 3 years now and it takes me and two others 6 hours to mow and weed eat, it pays 675.00 per cut and this is in the poor state of Mississippi. so i dont know how you guys stay in business mowing so cheep. anyway its better to walk away than to mow to cheep.
Supertiger, when the client offered me 300 I was thinking more in the 500 range until he said once a month. I knew I did not want to mow it once a month with the type of grass there. The 300 sounded good for about 2 seconds till I though about it .

Danny
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Old 10-03-2004, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

When you buy a grave site you get a deed to a very small piece of land. And I assume you have a minumum that you charge to do even a small piece of property or small lawn as that is what these are just small lawns. I like to think of them as gated communities and you have all the customers So if your min. of say $20 to mow then add up all the small lawns [just count head stones] and then give a discount for group rate and that will give YOU a fair price. The people that have to pay you will think your crazy, but cemetaries are a b!tch

Mac