Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2004, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tru-Green vs. Scott's..........

Thinking about letting one if these companies do my fertilizing for a year to see if it makes a difference. I'm looking for actual experiences with these companies good and bad.

Tru-Green:

5-6 applications/yr, $55/each app. Fall aerating: $100.

Scott's:

6 services/yr, $79.80/service including a fall aeration. OR

5 services/yr, $68.45/service plus $187.00 for fall aeration.

I've heard good and bad about each (like any business) and am looking for opinions.

Thank you,

Joel B.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my area tru-green does crappy work. I'd leave them alone. Picked up several jobs from them because people weren't satis fied. Can't say about Scott's. Like you said, you'll hear good and bad about any.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branchland
In my area tru-green does crappy work. I'd leave them alone. Picked up several jobs from them because people weren't satis fied. Can't say about Scott's. Like you said, you'll hear good and bad about any.

same thing around here. Then you can't get rid of them!!!!!!

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 10-04-2004, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think a lot of it falls on the individual applicator doing the work and how well they are trained.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 10-04-2004, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

No way...

If you are contemplating 'subbing' this out........Both of the companies you listed are at the bottom of the list. In fact down here they are not even on the list. Too much turnover and too many people stirring the pot.

In my opinion you'd be better off finding an owner operated outfit, sitting down with him/her over lunch, and learning whether or not that person can meet your expectations. Find out what their care practices are. Learn about their views concerning certain chemicals you might be opposed to using (without them knowing you are opposed to it and why). I would even go so far as having them ride with you to a property you take care of, that is currently in need of some type of treatment. Don't care if that treatment is a TDO or some type of element deficiency. See if they can visually diagnose a problem by identifying the pathology of what they see. I say that because anyone (down here atleast) can look at a bad spot in St. Augustine and say, "well that's Chinch Bug".....but the truth is more than half have no idea that it's Chinch Bug or why. Everyone here says Chinch Bug.......it's a household recognized name.....like HBO.

If the person you are talking to can identify the symptoms of what they see and then bridge the logic gap to treatment.....you got yourself a potential winner.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck to you!

Chris
Old 10-06-2004, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice, here. Hiring either company is a big mistake...BIG mistake. What Larry said, "a lot of it falls on the individual applicator doing the work and how well they are trained."
While part of this is true, you take the best applicator in the world, and send him out with a trubrown formulation, and you are STILL going to get the same nitrogen stressed, nutrient depleted, poor results.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel B.
Thinking about letting one if these companies do my fertilizing for a year to see if it makes a difference. I'm looking for actual experiences with these companies good and bad.

Tru-Green:

5-6 applications/yr, $55/each app. Fall aerating: $100.

Scott's:

6 services/yr, $79.80/service including a fall aeration. OR

5 services/yr, $68.45/service plus $187.00 for fall aeration.

I've heard good and bad about each (like any business) and am looking for opinions.

Thank you,

Joel B.
Around here, True-Green says 6 apps and applys 10. Out of curiosity, How big is your lawn?

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't suggest it based on my experiences in this area.

TGCL's fertilization products are based highly on urea (quick release nitrogen) You will see surge growth after an application and then a period of slow growth until they make another visit. This allows TGCL to apply more apps in a given year. They are not big on slower release products, since it costs them more money and they make fewer visits. Not too difficult to understand that from a making money standpoint.

If you are mowing the subject lawn....be prepared for lots of clippings.

You need to find someone who uses a more controlled program with Urea Formaldehyde, Polyon, or Lesco's Novex TCRN. Organic programs would also be an option.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Both companies are nation wide corporations. Both will be drivin by profitibility. Meaning someone will choose the least expensive products to get you results. This is acceptable by millions of people who are with them now . Personally I dont think you want to join those millions, you want something better. In my area the best results are by locally owned business that do landscaping / nursery as well. My own experience with T. G. over the years they have made thousands of people upset for pretty much every reason imaginable and thats just in my area. In the 90's I spent 3 years talking to over 200 people a week about purchasing lawn care from the company I worked for. When people told me they had a bad experience I always asked why and then explained why we were different. T. G. was great at giving me an open door to show people better service and results. Ive also had friends and family work for T. G. and the things they told me , well lets just say you should run not walk the other way. My best suggestion is to drive through the richest nicest neighborhoods in your area and look for a company flag with a name on it on the lawns that look great If you dont see any flags try to find someone outside and tell the homeowner his lawn looks great and ask him who he has do it. In my area its more common to see falling stars than to see a T. G. flag in the best of neighborhoods.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Scotts vs trugreen

i actually work for Scotts and unfortunatly both of them are not very different from eachother. It makes a big difference who your applicator is because it could be someone who cares about the job and is well trained, or just some guy who's gonna be gone in a month or so. The companies are obviously driven by profit, so your lawn rep usually will be doing 20 lawns a day to keep up with bonuses. I will say that scotts uses a better product and if you get a good rep, you should be in pretty good shape. Which ever one you try, make sure to have the guy who is treating meet you the first visit so you can set your expectations from him/her, then go from there.