Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2004, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are you only motivated when you are doing the impossible?

My partner and I have run into this when we are drowning in work or have expansion plans that seem to be unobtainable we are at our best. If I am not being challenged I just lose some discipline and the desire to work as hard as I can. I get the feeling I am going to have to expand my business 50-100% a year every year for the rest of my life just to keep me entertained. There seems to be no greater satisfaction then watching all your dreams come together before your eyes. This past month the work out side of the maintenance dried up and became a trickle and I am stunned how fast you can become lazy when you do not have pressing dead lines. I guess since I want to strive to be my best I will have to push the envelope at all times. I wonder if I am the only nutt that thinks this way or do I have some company here?
Old 10-04-2004, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I probably fall into that category somewhat. I especially like the challenges early in the season with keeping up on the mowing, all the cleanup, mulch, and estimates out the wazzoo all coming in at once. Like you, I get a bit of a slow down this time of the season, actually made it to the golf course finally last week. But I know that the slowdown is about over, leaves are starting to fall, and my new ad starts running tomorrow. Time to gear up and start motivating once again until the snow flies. ayup:
Old 10-04-2004, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping
My partner and I have run into this when we are drowning in work or have expansion plans that seem to be unobtainable we are at our best. If I am not being challenged I just lose some discipline and the desire to work as hard as I can. I get the feeling I am going to have to expand my business 50-100% a year every year for the rest of my life just to keep me entertained. There seems to be no greater satisfaction then watching all your dreams come together before your eyes. This past month the work out side of the maintenance dried up and became a trickle and I am stunned how fast you can become lazy when you do not have pressing dead lines. I guess since I want to strive to be my best I will have to push the envelope at all times. I wonder if I am the only nutt that thinks this way or do I have some company here?
Matt your putting all your energy and ambitions into growing your company to be the best, and you set your goals high. These are very commendable qualities and will pay big dividends! But to obtain your goals you will half to sacrafice somethings, the old 24 hrs in a day routine does play a part. Are you willing to sacrafice your family maybe lose the wife and kids over a business ? And what about your health? Your a type A personality whats a heart attack at age 40 worth? A wise man once said everything in moderation. Slow down just a little and enjoy life or all those millions you make will be enjoyed by someone else. JMO

Mac
Old 10-04-2004, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess that's why I finally quit my old job and started my own biz. It was getting so boring, no challenges. Everyday, come in, get the crews out, wait for the boss to arrive (at some point in the morning). Hopefully he'd have his own day mapped out or else he'd have me doing something stupid, like moving everything from the left side of the shop to the right side. Anyway, I just felt like I was spinning my wheels.

I DO like challenges, but I don't like to be stressed to much. It wears on me after a few weeks.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fear not Mac I will put you in my will just in case I'm just getting a little bored waiting for fall to unleash hell and dreaming of making next year even more crazy.