Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-05-2004, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Folks, its been nice, Im throwing the towel in.

I have done a lot of soul searching this week and Ive come to the conclusion that the lawn care biz aint gonna support my family here. I posted last January that if it was not any better by the fall I was calling it quits. I tried to do a lot of things different this year (thanks to lawnsite) advertising, doorhangers, paper, did not get one call from them. In the past month I have had more calls than in past 8 months and everyone was a BS yard that no other lco would touch or they wanted to pay you 25 bucks to do a 125 job. I guess I will have to get me a job at wally world of krogers making min. wage being I have no college and no one wants to hire you when you get older. I remember when I was in the office biz for 22 years how I use to envy the lco every time I passed one on the road. I give it my best and I failed miserably. I do have 4 accounts that Im going to keep for the weekend (about 600 a month) just for extra income. Im going to just keep my 717 and a few other pieces of equipment to do these with. I sure wished I had not bought the new edger (used one time) new bp blower (never used) last month. Things started looking promising this year but just did not happen. Felt like I hit a brick wall everytime I turned around, pick up one, lose 2,etc. I want to thank all the folks who gave advice, it was very welcome. I wish you all the best of luck!! It really made me feel good when I read the post about the 20 something year old that knocked down over 250k in the past year and in my area you are doing dam good to get in the 20,s.

PS: this is not meant to be a "sob" story. I tell it just like it is.

Danny
Quality Lawn Care
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 10-05-2004, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Danny,

Sorry to hear about your leaving the green industry. I know markets are very, very different from one coast to the next, let alone one town to the next, so I feel for you in that regard. I wish you the best of luck in where ever you are led from this point forward. Hope to still talk to you around LS from time to time, and hopefully you can get a good paying job to support your family , and possibly plan for a comeback in a year or so. I wish you the best of luck.

P.S. If your equipment is paid for, try and hold on to the newer stuff if the thought of getting back in is in your mind at this time. Less overhead for a restart later....

Bill
Old 10-05-2004, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This southern economy sure is tough on the LCO... no doubt about it. Partially the current economy and partially the average working man's wage in general. It's a fight to get the money you need... that's for sure.

Do what you need to t put food on the table. Since you are keeping your equipment, better opportunities may present themselves in the future. Sometimes you have to stop, think, and re-invent the wheel to get things rolling the right way.

Now, go rent 'Joe Dirt' and watch it......

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 10-05-2004, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Good Luck to you Danny! It is tough out there and I'm sure that many more lcos will go under this year. Keep your head up. With your experiance you could make a fine maintenance/Grounds supervisor and do"side jobs until you can make a run of it again.

I wish you well,

Mike
Old 10-05-2004, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks fellows, I was really depressed/unhappy when I made this decision. I know another lco who just started last year, Is much higher than me and has all he can handle. I offered him my accounts and he did not have time for them. What di I do wrong? Believe it or not, three years ago when I had a JD 133 basic mower, homelite weedeater and ryobi blower and ragged home made trailor I made 4 grand more that 4th year than this year and I have nice equipment now and look much more professional. Go figure. Folks around here like the scrub look.

Danny
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 10-05-2004, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

what you got for sale?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm sorry to hear of your bad fortune. I hope the future brings you prosperity, and perhaps keeping some equipment, taking a time-out and a step back and reevaluating the circumstances will cast light on open doors that may have been missed. Best of luck...Tony
Old 10-05-2004, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear it..

Hey Danny, I feel your pain as I, too have chosen to move on to other things for now as well.. Only you can decide what's right for yourself, and I hope you are makin' the wise choice..Either way, GOD bless you, and your family, and may the Lord richly bless you no matter what you do..

Willy
Old 10-05-2004, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry it did not work out for you. Best of luck in future ventures
Old 10-06-2004, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Danny, sorry it didn't go so well. From the posts you've made over the past few months it certainly wasn't for lack of effort. I wish you well and who know's...maybe your luck will turn and something go your way. Keep your chin up, try not to look at it as a negative, I'm sure you learned a ton of stuff that would not have happened if you hadn't tried. Good luck Danny.

Buck