Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2004, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Cougar input vs. Walker

I have an opportunity to pick up a used scag cougar for decent money and was wondering what your experience with them is. I worked for a guy that had walkers about 10 years ago, and they were pretty nice machines at the time. How do they compare now? Appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search, there was a thread about this machine not long ago. From what I remember of it, the Cougar was not looked upon vey favorably.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Used both and own a Walker. The Cougar is heavily built and may be ok for your mowing but it isn't for my lawns. I was not too impressed with the quality of cut and the high seating of the Cougar. It cuts grass but in my opinion it isn't close to the quality of a Walker.
Demo them both and see what you think. It may be good for you. Good Luck.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Any Thoughts as to what made the walker cut better? I own a scag turf runner (was replaced with the Cougar) and have been a little disappointed with the quality of cut.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Walker GHS decks have counter-rotating blades and what I believe is a better deck design for vacuuming up grass. Scag rotates like all others which is acceptable but it isn't as clean as a Walker in my eyes. Like I said , I am not bashing a Scag it just doesn't fit my business as good as a Walker.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

The turf runner does have counter-rotating blades. Any other thoughts?
How big in diameter is the discharge chute going to the impeller on the walkers. what about blade tip speed?

Thanks
mike
Old 10-08-2004, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Walker is still the Lexus of mowers. Typically requires more upkeep and not flat-out fast (and a relatively slow blade tip speed), but unsurpassed in cut quality and bagging (especially on well-manicured turf). Know of at least two HOA's that specify Walker in their bid contracts. Unfortunately, I had to go with something more rugged and affordable (Country Clipper Charger).
Old 10-08-2004, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowhigh
Walker is still the Lexus of mowers. Typically requires more upkeep and not flat-out fast (and a relatively slow blade tip speed), but unsurpassed in cut quality and bagging (especially on well-manicured turf). Know of at least two HOA's that specify Walker in their bid contracts. Unfortunately, I had to go with something more rugged and affordable (Country Clipper Charger).
OK, I understand the more affordable part. But more rugged? I don't think so. I have over 1000hrs on my Walker, and have never had even one breakdown. Let's see if your Country Clipper can beat that record.
I am not saying your mower is no good, I am just saying that the Walkers are a quality mower, and can take a beating just like any other high quality mower. They do have more grease fittings to keep up with, but if properly maintained, they are very rugged and dependable.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My walker has 1500 plus hours with only normal maintenance. I demoed a couger but didn't buy it. It's too heavy for the narrow tires( made ruts in spring yards), not as nimble as the walker (due to the extra weight). But I think it was well built and would make a great leaf machine if you kept the radiator cleaned out.

Last edited by green acres lawns; 10-08-2004 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I am just saying that the Walkers are a quality mower, and can take a beating just like any other high quality mower.
I disagree. I think the deck design is weak. They are not reinforced like a Exmark or Hustler. If you hit a rock it breaks the break-away nuts that hold the blades in rotation. Also if you want to change the height of your deck on your $10,000+ mower get used to pulling 4 pins out of the deck! The front casters are weak. The hydros are prone to fail. The location of the engine is poor. It basically rides 3" from the ground. I have seen many many Walkers w/ blown engine at 500 hours. When I think of a tough mower, Walker does not come to mind. I can say these things because I own one, but I am just not proud of it. I don't have any $$ in mine and only use it for leaf clean-up.