Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I just got a John Deere 737 last week with a stripping kit I was wondering how yours turned out like. Does it stripe better now or what.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrell
here's a few pics from a 50hp Dixie equipped with meg-mos and a rubber flap for striping................Lynn
Great job!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

trouble with my striping kit

I just trated my 52" bob cat for a John Deere.My bob cat had a rubber flap for a striping kit which did pretty good. My John Deere has a stripping kit on it and its not striping so well.Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I made a stripe kit for my John Deere 757 with a 54 inch deck. I have a thread on here under commercial mowing. The title was "my homemade striper", it had some pics too. I used a rubber truck mudflap.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a picture of what it does.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2006, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a 717A, 48" Seven Iron II deck in May this year. It does a great job mowing, leaving a much better cut than my Exmark TriAdvantage deck. However, the JD leave very little stripe. In some cases, when I return in one week, I have a hard time finding the marks left from the last mowing. Initially, I was disappointed in lack of stripes like my Exmark, but I really liked the carpet-like result.

Having said that, I have received many more compliments from customers on the quality of work the JD. Some long-standing customers called me on the phone after I had mowed their property a couple of times, "... your new mower does such a great job."

For me, the bottom line is pleasing the customer. Phooy on stripes if the customer is happy. I think it has been said in many LS threads, "stripes are a fascination of the grass cutters, but customers could care less."
Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the same as you, except in the 727A - 23 HP w/ 54" deck. It did fine striping, but not something to write home about. I did some searching in here and decided on a mudflap since I already had one and all I needed was about $4.00 in steel and paint to make it work. The tires do great striping so I made one to fit in between the rear wheels under the motor.

I made sure the tires wer properly inflated and made the flap so it sits just 1/4inch above the garage floor. and now I have great stripes and better checkerboard when I alternate each week.

My only complaint about the 54" deck is that is takes alot of manual cleanout when spring is here or the grass is wet like this morning. I've heard better from other Z-Trak owners, but it seems that the 54" model is not near as good at self cleaning as the wider decks.
John Deere G-15 WB
Echo PAS-260 Power Heads
Echo Trimmers / Blowers / Edgers
Coralville, Iowa
Old 08-31-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guy's for your help.Here where I live its rained for a few days now so maybe this weekend maybe I can try different things like,lower the roller, gator blades stuff like that.... see my other lawnmower the bobcat was a 52'' cut so my stripes were smaller 2 where now there wider mybe I need to retrain the grass.Also the dealer put on the kit on since I bought it there {no charge}ive notice the roller does not even touch the ground so its like its just skimming the grass,so i'm going to lower it and see how that does..........Another thing I cut grass 31/2 to 4 in what do you suggest?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellers_jon
Thanks guy's for your help.Here where I live its rained for a few days now so maybe this weekend maybe I can try different things like,lower the roller, gator blades stuff like that.... see my other lawnmower the bobcat was a 52'' cut so my stripes were smaller 2 where now there wider mybe I need to retrain the grass.Also the dealer put on the kit on since I bought it there {no charge}ive notice the roller does not even touch the ground so its like its just skimming the grass,so i'm going to lower it and see how that does..........Another thing I cut grass 31/2 to 4 in what do you suggest?
Hi... our grass here in NC doesn't stripe real easy like it does for those guys up north. Even the cool season grasses here are stiffer than they are up there during more sunny years like this one... unless it's a shade lawn of course. I guess it's the intensity of the sun that makes our grasses so hard/coarse.

When I tried the 7 Iron (not 7 Iron II) I got NO STRIPE WHATSOEVER with the stock machine. So that deck does not have what it takes to produce a nice natural stripe here. The eXmark trivantage is the same way.

So I can tell you right up front that you will have to run the roller LOW and let it handle the task of striping... as I said, the eXmark is the same way.

The easiest way I can tell you is to go out to the shop and set the deck at your lowest cutting height you use and adjust the roller down closer to the floor... but not on it. Hopefully that will enhance your stripes at higher heights as well. If not, you'll have to fool with adjusting it up and down periodically for the desired results according to cutting height.

My Lesco Ztwo on the other hand has a natural stripe. The roller on it does not touch the ground until I drop the deck down to 1 3/4". But I still get good stripes cutting at 5" even though the roller just brushes the tips of the grass. I'm sure it helps some, but most of the stripe is just from the deck.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
So that deck does not have what it takes to produce a nice natural stripe here. The eXmark trivantage is the same way.

B.S. My 7 irons stripe nice. If the machine was setup right from the start it will stripe just fine.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment