Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
60" or smaller ?? Do you have any pics to show it's cut and striping ability?
Bigger Chariot LX has a 61" deck.

I have a couple of pics...will try to post them tonight.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Center sticks are great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
I liked the Chariot LX cut and stripe from the Gen II deck also.
I liked the way it handled naturally for me even more.
I liked the center sticks too.

But I couldn't't get them to cut higher than 3" or so at the top setting and you could not adjust the cutting height to match the selector, because if it were any higher, a pulley would have came in contact with the underside of the machine.

I ended up passing although I liked almost everything else.
Turned out for the best though, because that dealer went belly-up.
I am a big fun of any mower...Ex-mark, Scag etc they're all nice, but I love the control you have with a Chariot LX. I will agree with you about the deck and have complained the last 3 or 4 years to them at the EXPO in Louisville. This is something they are looking at, but I was told it was for the warm season grasses. I guess in Florida or anywhere in the south there is a greater need for cutting shorter. The tallest height it can caught is 4" and that is on the "5" setting. For some reason or another it comes 1" inch off from the factory!?!?! Don't know why.

My purchase of the Chariot LX was all about timing, the price of $6700 and two years no interest and no payments from John Deere Credit when they ran Great Dane. I have a great dealer I am friends with and he takes care of me. I really liked the Ex-mark at the time but it was almost $2000.00 more and I had a budget fixing to have a wife

My next purchase will be a Ex-mark though. They make a great machine that doesn't sacrifice quality of cut and it can stripe pretty decent too. I get more compliments off of the Chariot stripes than any other mower. I like the stripe roller option too.

Just some food for thought.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
Which mower on the first pass? Please explain in detail what height the first pass vs second, direction of cut first vs second, etc. I have never used a mulcher, just wondering about build up in these wet condition. Of course I have to scrape quite often during wet weather here, even with side discharge. Don't you use the Lazer on the first pass? Your wife can probably mow as strait without sleep as I can with.
I use the Hustler on both passes. The 1st pass was in the opposite direction with the deck set at 3.5 which you can't see from the angle of the picture. The 2nd pass was almost wide open at 3.75 just a 1/4 inch higher.

I use the Lazer on a smaller section. You know as wet as it is each week I don't scrape my deck more than once a week on either mower. But all my lawns are wet so I don't get into much dry and dusty combinations that makes it stick more. Plus the 30 hp has been kicking butt. I think the key is learning how much you can cut at 1 time and not cutting it to short when its that wet. Plus I releveled my deck and now can not use the transport setting, but the settings match my Exmark better now. I raised my hitch on my truck so the deck will clear going up the ramp set at 4.75.

Below are pics of the 1st pass I was cutting 2 " of grass when it gets deeper than 2" it will make a bigger mess. But the mulcher never loads up and pukes killing the mower . If the deck is loaded and you slow down a little it will drop more in 1 spot, plus when turning around it will dump more but I think it works well.
Attached Images

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice turf pictures

MJB great pics, I guess living on the edge of Appalachia, you just don't see many quality stands of grass like that. Just a few home owners that work on them all the time. Most just sew them once and let them go. I do not see pure stands of turf grass and thats why the Hustler probably doesn't do as well here. Plus I'm cutting off more. But I've tried some of your techniques and they seem to be working (mowing a little higher on the second pass on nicer homes) even though I'm discharging.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MBJ,

The first picture looks good...

The second picture... I would be freaking out.
Especially taking that little off that pure of a stand of turf.

Extremely NICE turf quality by the way....

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 09-07-2006, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
MBJ,

The first picture looks good...

The second picture... I would be freaking out.
Especially taking that little off that pure of a stand of turf.

Extremely NICE turf quality by the way....
Not sure what you mean about freaking out. From where the picture starts to down by the house the grass is alway about 2 " longer on that end. So it gets hard to cut with a mulching deck especially wet in that corner. The grass is starting to slow down with the cool temps at night already. Most of our lawns are this way that have a good sprinkler system that covers evenly. I have lawns that are longer during the spring we cut off about 6 " thats when it really gets messy. Thats also when I get out the side discharge to knock it down.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

Old 09-07-2006, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma200
MJB great pics, I guess living on the edge of Appalachia, you just don't see many quality stands of grass like that. Just a few home owners that work on them all the time. Most just sew them once and let them go. I do not see pure stands of turf grass and thats why the Hustler probably doesn't do as well here. Plus I'm cutting off more. But I've tried some of your techniques and they seem to be working (mowing a little higher on the second pass on nicer homes) even though I'm discharging.
Now you know why I double cut everything I can't make the grass dissapear on 1 pass . I was surprised at how well it did on the 1st pass that morning though because it was very wet. I've had lawns that were not of this quality but would grow taller and I always used simular techniques to make it look good. I always price everything to double cut. Sure beats bagging which I can't believe I use to do even on the 2 - 3 acre lawns, sure don't miss that.
Do you have your Lazer set up to mulch?? Have you ever mulched with it? I still prefer to have 1 of each on my trailer for different jobs and conditions.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mulching

No both my mowers are side discharge. I would want to try one out around here before I bought a mulch kit. No one mulches or bags here. Not sure if it's just a regional thing. I'm learning . Of course the customers are not as picky here as they would be in larger, more affluent, neighborhoods. Sometimes I feel like doing more bush hog type work than mowing. Lots of 10-14 day accounts and some weeklies. We are having some of our worst conditions but I still make them look pretty good by going over it a second time at high speed.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB
Not sure what you mean about freaking out. From where the picture starts to down by the house the grass is alway about 2 " longer on that end. So it gets hard to cut with a mulching deck especially wet in that corner. The grass is starting to slow down with the cool temps at night already. Most of our lawns are this way that have a good sprinkler system that covers evenly. I have lawns that are longer during the spring we cut off about 6 " thats when it really gets messy. Thats also when I get out the side discharge to knock it down.
Well I wasn't going to respond because I don't want anyone to think I'm just being a butthole. But then I decided that "I" know I'm not and hopefully members will also realize it too.

First, that's eXactly the type of turf quality pictured that I have been trying to explain to folks that the eXmark TriVantage deck "likes" to cut. Pretty much that and not much else. It can cut that soooo crisp and pretty. It does a great job on that kind of stuff so long as the conditions are right (not too sappy or wet and cutting off a lot) and the deck doesn't clog. If cutting off a lot in good conditions it still will usually do a great job. It just looks like a hay field after one pass is all. Anything beyond that and it's slinging wads and so forth like pictured in #2.

Second, the kind of performance pictured gets me freaking out. I'm not content to settle for that and mow 2 or 3 times just to get a lawn cut and somewhat presentable. If I were, I would be on here like the others singing praises of the Lazer HP and I would not have had to buy the Lesco to bail me out.

Again, not being a butthole.... but honestly my Lesco would blow right through those lawns like nothing, at speed, and leave a beautiful finish in one pass... on the trailer and GONE. More money, less time. It would mulch that in one pass too... but at a slower speed of course.

The Lazer HP would take a second pass most of the time to hide the clippings. Sometimes I'd get by with one and those pics are close.

I'm confused about how you are set up? Which mowers are set up to mulch and which are set to side discharge? Originally I was strongly leaning towards a 27/52" UltraCut Lazer Z. But it didn't work out that way. Nobody had one, only the 20/52" so the 23/52 HP is what I took out. I've wondered ever since if I missed out not getting the UltraCut for the extra depth for mulching and harder side discharge conditions....

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 09-08-2006, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Well I wasn't going to respond because I don't want anyone to think I'm just being a butthole. But then I decided that "I" know I'm not and hopefully members will also realize it too.

First, that's eXactly the type of turf quality pictured that I have been trying to explain to folks that the eXmark TriVantage deck "likes" to cut. Pretty much that and not much else. It can cut that soooo crisp and pretty. It does a great job on that kind of stuff so long as the conditions are right (not too sappy or wet and cutting off a lot) and the deck doesn't clog. If cutting off a lot in good conditions it still will usually do a great job. It just looks like a hay field after one pass is all. Anything beyond that and it's slinging wads and so forth like pictured in #2.

Second, the kind of performance pictured gets me freaking out. I'm not content to settle for that and mow 2 or 3 times just to get a lawn cut and somewhat presentable. If I were, I would be on here like the others singing praises of the Lazer HP and I would not have had to buy the Lesco to bail me out.

Again, not being a butthole.... but honestly my Lesco would blow right through those lawns like nothing, at speed, and leave a beautiful finish in one pass... on the trailer and GONE. More money, less time. It would mulch that in one pass too... but at a slower speed of course.

The Lazer HP would take a second pass most of the time to hide the clippings. Sometimes I'd get by with one and those pics are close.

I'm confused about how you are set up? Which mowers are set up to mulch and which are set to side discharge? Originally I was strongly leaning towards a 27/52" UltraCut Lazer Z. But it didn't work out that way. Nobody had one, only the 20/52" so the 23/52 HP is what I took out. I've wondered ever since if I missed out not getting the UltraCut for the extra depth for mulching and harder side discharge conditions....
Well Envy, I've tried every brand of mower pretty much that you rave about and they all have the same problem. Get into thick turf and 1 pass won't cut it and leave it the way I like it. This grass is very fine and very thick I can side discharge it and make it cut clean with any of my mowers, except the Hustler which I have not tried. I also know that the clippings can not dissapear on 1 pass. You can use the Lesco or Cub Cadet Tank which you said is the same thing and the results are no different on the 1st pass. You keep mentioning the Trivantage deck, well I have never used that deck I only use the Ultra cut which is set to mulch now. I tried doubles, gators, mixes of both on many different brands side discharging and the results are essentially the same on the 1st pass. Many would blow thru that grass and cut clean but I hate seeing uncut clippings on the lawn they diminish the look and the stripe. Thats why I double cut. Now I have some lawns that are not as strong of turf and in fact parks that I mow 1 time per month. These I don't double cut because I don't need to. They have a mix of grasses and are slow growing.

My setup this year is mulching with both of my main mowers. I also have 2 Grasshoppers setup to side discharge if needed. I was considering changing the Super Z to side but for now I'm pretty happy with the cut. I can blow thru stuff exactly the same as the Tank, only the ride is so much better. Remember the Tank, it was not that great on thick turf , or on less quality turf the demo had a ranges of grasses and hills and the truth of the matter is it left strgglers everywhere and I still had to double cut. That mower came setup from the dealer just like all my mowers do. So they should all be equal at the start. I know they can all be tweaked to do better.

Again your assuming that the whole lawn is the same as the pic, it's that pic is in fairly light growth, but still thick, and it more than doubles in height by the time you get to the other end.

Don't tell me that the Tank will save me time and money because I already know what the Tank will do up here. Why do you think with all the Cub dealers, a lot around here , yet not hardly any commercial. We are not impressed enough to by them. If you are then by all means buy them and if your right will all go out of business in time because we bought the wrong mower. I got 15 yrs without 1 Cub, and 14 yrs with Zero turns and still going.....go figure. If your Lesco is so good then you need to work for them and teach them how to produce a better product. Gotta run, Leaving town until Sunday night.