Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

from a southern point of view mulch or side discharge going over the leaves until they disappear...faster and less work but less money as well but it beats hauling bags/tarps of leaves all day.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
from a southern point of view mulch or side discharge going over the leaves until they disappear...faster and less work but less money as well but it beats hauling bags/tarps of leaves all day.
Why is it less money? Cleaning the leaves off of a lawn should theoretically cost the same whether you use a rake and tarp, a mower with mulch kit, or blowers and a leaf vac. Theres no reason you should get paid less for working smarter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Why is it less money? Cleaning the leaves off of a lawn should theoretically cost the same whether you use a rake and tarp, a mower with mulch kit, or blowers and a leaf vac. Theres no reason you should get paid less for working smarter.
Posted via Mobile Device
well like i've said in posts before...it's a region thing...noone in the south is gonna pay you $200-$250 to remove leaves from their yard...no matter how you do it...they might pay you $50-$100 depending on the size of the yard...i agree with you though...to me smarter is the way to go...i'm not out there trying to kill myself to earn a few bucks...i'm gonna do it the easiest way i can and do a good job at the same time...i sure aint gonna get out there and haul bags/tarps of leaves for $50...the easiest way is to just run over them with the mower...it works for me....i might use the leaf blower if it's a small yard and blow them into the woods or something if that's an option....but i never rake, bag, tarp, etc. leaves...even if they did pay me well it's not worth it to me.

Last edited by weeze; 07-27-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
well like i've said in posts before...it's a region thing...noone in the south is gonna pay you $200-$250 to remove leaves from their yard...no matter how you do it...they might pay you $50-$100 depending on the size of the yard...i agree with you though...to me smarter is the way to go...i'm not out there trying to kill myself to earn a few bucks...i'm gonna do it the easiest way i can and do a good job at the same time...i sure aint gonna get out there and haul bags/tarps of leaves for $50
Nothing like the southern long leaf pine straw, I would like to see it put into bags ect. they would be holes poked all in the bag then it would burst open. Rake it into piles and burn it that is about the only way to do away with it.
Kubota W5021 Commercial
Exmark Metro 21
Stihl SG 20
Stihl FS 110 R
Stihl FS 55 R
Stihl MS 290
Stihl HS 45
Husqvarna 123L
Husqvarna 356BT
Echo Pas 225
McLane Edger
7 X 14 Smith Built Trailer
Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

we bag it with our walkers and dump it in the street and vac it up . or we blow it to the street and vac it up .

tennessee is just above alabama for those southern boys who dont know and we do a lot of $250.00 cleanups and have cleanups approaching $1000.00 and $75.00 is our minimum period . we bill 40.00 per man hour plus 5.00 per dump of a walker box on big jobs and 60.00 a man hour and 5.00 per dump on small jobs . The best bang for the buck is a dump trailer vac and 2 large backpacks / no push anythings .
Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do leaf removal in Louisville KY and use a loader.
Here is a blog post I made that has a video of it. It saves us time and makes us more money than any other way. We remove alot of leaves in Louisville so this is our only way to go!

http://www.propowerwash.com/board/up...-Louisville-KY
Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddboygeorge View Post
The Best Way Spend Some Big Money An Get Ya A Turf Sweeper, Big Industrial Vac Pull Behind , An A 24 Foot Flatbed /dump. Get A Few Backpack Blowers An A Big Walk Behind Blower. Get Ready To Make Some Serious Money . Believe Me I Do Alot Of Leaf Work Its Hard Dirty Work But It Makes Me Some Serious Money . Last Year I Did 264 Jobs Average Job Is 200-250 Do The Math . Have Fun An Get To Leafing!!
what model turf sweeper and industrial pull behind vac do you use?